Cant Hooks, Log Rolling, etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the video with the fellow using his cant hook. That looks like a home made one and it also appears he doesn't use one very much as he makes it look a bit clumsy. But that does give the folks an idea of what it can do. Rolling a log onto a limb or pole that you have cut is easy work with the cant hook as is just cutting first and then rolling the log before finishing the cut.

One other piece of advice, read the specs on the cant hooks you are thinking about buying. For example, some will only handle a 10"-18" log by virtue of their design. This is one of the other main reasons I went with the Logrite cant hook, as they seem to have the widest range of log sizes that they will work with--mine will handle from 8"-32" diameter logs.

NP

NH_Wood- What length Hookaroon do you use?
Yes, they are looking really good to me at this point, but as an addition to the basic cant hook.

NH_Wood said:
John_M said:
Clutter, I'll try to address your questions in order. These opinions are mine only and may not be the same for others:

Hookaroon- Photos are in the link. While splitting, I sit on a log or milk carton or a comfortable plastic chair. I use the Hookaroon with its strong and very sharp point to grab rounds or large splits to pull them to the splitter. This saves much standing then sitting, and lifting. I also use it when loading splits onto a wagon. It is most helpful for organizing wood which is out of arm's reach-a real time and labor saver.

Hope this addresses most of your questions. Best Wishes, John_M

+1 on the 'hookaroon' or pickaroon. Really saves a lot of back work and is great for moving relatively small rounds and splits - I have to keep a cap on the bed of my truck - my pickaroon makes unloading a lot better! Cheers!

Yep. The Logrites look pretty good. Pricey. You can get a cheapie for near half price (wood handle). Maybe they are worth the extra.

What length Logrite cant hook do you have? From your own experience, can you see why they offer so many different sizes? Which lengths fit which jobs?

You say 8-32in grip range, so maybe you use the 36in length cant hook?

Nonprophet said:
One other piece of advice, read the specs on the cant hooks you are thinking about buying. For example, some will only handle a 10"-18" log by virtue of their design. This is one of the other main reasons I went with the Logrite cant hook, as they seem to have the widest range of log sizes that they will work with--mine will handle from 8"-32" diameter logs.

NP

Cluttermagnet said:
Yep. The Logrites look pretty good. Pricey. You can get a cheapie for near half price (wood handle). Maybe they are worth the extra.

What length Logrite cant hook do you have? From your own experience, can you see why they offer so many different sizes? Which lengths fit which jobs?

You say 8-32in grip range, so maybe you use the 36in length cant hook?

Nonprophet said:

NP

I have the 48" Logrite cant hook with the universal log stand (timber jack). To me it is a good balance between strength, leverage, and portability.

FWIW Northern Tool now sells some knock-off cant hooks that look very similar to the Logrite's (but orange instead of blue) and they are about 25-30% less money, however, more than one reviewer has said that he bent the handle on the NT version. I can assure you that would NEVER happen with the Logrite, and, even if it did they are guaranteed for life.

NP

Cluttermagnet said:
NH_Wood- What length Hookaroon do you use?
Yes, they are looking really good to me at this point, but as an addition to the basic cant hook.

NH_Wood said:
John_M said:
Clutter, I'll try to address your questions in order. These opinions are mine only and may not be the same for others:

Hookaroon- Photos are in the link. While splitting, I sit on a log or milk carton or a comfortable plastic chair. I use the Hookaroon with its strong and very sharp point to grab rounds or large splits to pull them to the splitter. This saves much standing then sitting, and lifting. I also use it when loading splits onto a wagon. It is most helpful for organizing wood which is out of arm's reach-a real time and labor saver.

Hope this addresses most of your questions. Best Wishes, John_M

+1 on the 'hookaroon' or pickaroon. Really saves a lot of back work and is great for moving relatively small rounds and splits - I have to keep a cap on the bed of my truck - my pickaroon makes unloading a lot better! Cheers!

If you're thinking about a hook/pick aroon, you might want to consider a "pulp hook" instead. You can see them here. I like them better than a hook/pick aroon because I find the handle easier to hold onto with the weight of a log/split on it. They're also smaller and less expensive, yet still great for moving wood around without having to bend over all the time.

NP

I bought a pulp hook last summer. Very handy tool. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your hands and/or gloves. Great for unloading the truck. My only complaint is that I can't reach all the rounds in the truck with it. I want to get a hookaroon so I can reach the whole load from the ground.

Excellent choice, Flatbed. My 24" Hookaroon is a constant and inseparable companion when working wood. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another (36" or 48") should the need arise. I think you will be very happy with yours. John_M

flatbed, I just looked at the pickaroons on the Peavey web site. I would be out of my league recommending one style over another. I've never used the excellent Peavey brand of pickeroon so am unable to speak of their uses. Perhaps you could call them and explain your uses. They might suggest a best model for you. The Peavey company does have a reputation for excellence. Good luck. John_M

I figured it was time for a phone call too. I just ran out of time today. I'll call om Monday, and post here what they recommend.

This may be off thread just a bit, but some of you guys may like the story and pic. A friend of mine, almost 92, gave me a cant hook that had been his fathers. It was made or repaired by a local blacksmith over 80 years ago... and is still going strong. It has really been a great help to me. Below is a pic of to 80+ guys posing with me while moving some timber. For all you Red Sox fans (I am one), I forgave the one guy his Yankee jacket and hat because of the help.

Attachments

• cant hook1.jpg
    cant hook1.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 868
Olafsen, Great photo. I'll bet those old timers really enjoyed showing you "youngster" how to "...move wood the way we did it years ago". Thank you for tolerating the Yankee jacket just this one time. :) Best wishes, John_M

I'll have to vote on the pulp hook. I never gather wood without it. I've handled 30" Oak rounds with it. I like the orange one from Baileys. For under $20 how can you go wrong? I've got a cant hook and a timberjack too, but the pulp hook is a must. It'll pay for itself within 2 years on wear and tear on your gloves alone.

Got to watch out in many areas it's not smart to venture into the woods with a bullseye jacket on. On the other hand you might find that jacket with a couple of cant hook or pulp hook holes in it. :wow:

Guys, this was a really great thread. Special thanks to Cluttermagnet for the great questions. I will be purchasing some new tools because of this. I have been using my back for all log moving requirements and that cuts into my splitting energy.

Hey Tony, lol. You got me thinkin here. A couple of years ago I went out in the woods during the spring, not thinking, I was hunting mushrooms, not firewood at the time, but I came across a couple guys turkey hunting. Never thought about it before nor have I ever seen a turkey around here before. I don't ever go back out there in the mornings anymore during hunting season.

Just wear a blaze orange hat or coat and all will be well.

I'm a little extra cautious now a days. There was an accident in my sister in-laws family a few years back where one brother accidentally shot and killed the other brother. One brother dead and the other wishing he was. What a way to ruin two lives. The brother that was killed was my sister in-laws sisters fiance. There's no room for accidents with guns and I have too much respect for guns to be where they are and I don't really need to be. Just my little effort to stay on the safe side.

Flatbedford said:
I was looking on the Peavey website. They have six different styles!! I don't how to choose.
http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.html

I called today and after a little chat with them, I ordered the "36" Katahdin" pickeroon.
katahdin.jpg

With shipping it should be about $50 and I should have it in a week or so. Pics and review will be posted.

Flatbedford said:
Flatbedford said:
I was looking on the Peavey website. They have six different styles!! I don't how to choose.
http://peaveymfg.com/pickeroons.html

I called today and after a little chat with them, I ordered the "36" Katahdin" pickeroon.

With shipping it should be about $50 and I should have it in a week or so. Pics and review will be posted.

Very cool. You know I just might throw a piece of steel in the forge tomorrow and make me one of these. I bet I can crack it out in about 20-40 minutes.

I was working in the woods Monday, and this time I remembered to bring my digging bar (spud bar). It helped. My friend who has the acreage came and helped me cut up a Cherry tree. He has a nice old (40 years) Stihl 040 (or was that an 041?). Great saw! Anyway, I watched him cut and learned a few new things. Since this tree was a smaller leaner, still solidly hinged to its base (strong winds blew it over), he used upward cuts with the saw. Also at times, a slow, jabbing move to establish that upwards cut while avoiding running the chain down into the dirt. Neat! This was way more efficient than how I was doing it from the top and getting my chain pinched a lot. Saw knowhow trumped cant hooks, log rolling, and such, today at least.

Knowledge, experience, and the right tools always make the job easier.

Ok I made a hookeroon this afternoon while I was shoeing a horse.

Took about 20 minutes. I used a small horseshoe straightened it out then folded it in half lining up the ends and hammer/forge welded the ends on the anvil up a few inches making it one solid piece. Then drew out the hook out of that peice that used to be the two heels of the horseshoe. Might be too 'Hookish' but seems to work well. Put it on a 36" axe handle.

IMG_3690-Medium.JPG

IMG_3697-Medium.JPG

IMG_3696-Medium.JPG

-josh

Dang! Beautiful job, nojo. Very functional. I want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.