Can't keep dv580 majestic lit, plz help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey Guys,
I too, have to replace my Honeywell RV8310E valve and remote control on my Majestic - Vermont Castings DVRT36 RFN Fireplace.
Is there a valve & remote kit you guys would suggest with Direct Spark Ignition (DSI), instead of having a pilot light burning all the time?
At my old house (12 yrs ago), I had the open flame pilot light replaced with DSI by a fireplace dealer. I figure, since I need to replace this setup, I would switch it over, also.

Thank you in advance...

Ronnie in Montana

I wouldn't recommend a DSI over ANYTHING. That idea is way outdated. If you can find an Intermittent Pilot Ignition (IPI)
with a battery back-up, that would be the way I'd go. DSI units were very expensive & useless in a power outage.

Others may chime in now...

Hey Bob, Thanks for chiming in!
The IPI sounds more like what I am looking for.
I just got off the phone with Honeywell. They have no suggestions on a compatible kit in their line of products (meaning, the RV8310E was specifically requested by and, made for Vermont Castings only).
Would you have any suggestions on a compatible IPI setup/kit to replace the current Honeywell RV8310E?

Hi there, I am in the same boat with this same fireplace. My valve went out, also.
How is this retrofit working for you?

Yes it's working well, I did not install the variable pot for the flame height with the retrofit RF controller, I always run the flame full.

Ls3c6, that tiny flame is likely at the edge of the burner where the ceramic burner tiles meet the edge of the metal frame, that is normally a small strip of cerawool (fiberfrax) gasket. My guess is yours may not be fully there. It shouldn't pose an issue in the grand scheme of things. I'd be tempted to stick a small piece of the rockwool ember material on it, just so it doesn't stand out so much.

Thanks, i'll do just that!