Can't use soot eater in my FPX large hybrid. Next best bet? Viper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
The Soot Eater cannot make the bends required to get up my chimney pipe. I snapped a section of the Soot Eater last year and this year I tried to make a conduit to for it to run smoothly into the flu pipe and not get cut against the diverter plate for the catalyst. This does not work either. The plastic sections have to make a complicated bend and they simply won't do it. I had the chimney cleaned once and my guy used what I think is called a Viper. I was on a reel. Is this my best option? Thanks

A viper is very expensive and the brooms aren’t very aggressive. At least I haven’t had much luck finding brooms that were stuff enough for wood.

Can you not clean top down? If you have to do a bottom up then are you able to replace some of your inside pipe (I assume it is exposed) with a telescopic section so you can just take apart some of the pipe and go that way?

Can you not clean top down? If you have to do a bottom up then are you able to replace some of your inside pipe (I assume it is exposed) with a telescopic section so you can just take apart some of the pipe and go that way?
It’s a fireplace insert.

Yeah I am not a big fan of the viper either. Ours has been on the shelf for 4 years or so

Reactions: webby3650
Yeah I am not a big fan of the viper either. Ours has been on the shelf for 4 years or so
I worked for a sweep company about 11 years ago that had some awesome brooms for the viper. They were made in northern Indiana but I can’t find the company. The factory viper brooms pretty much suck.

bholler what is your first choice cleaning method? Rotory or rod and brush?

Rotary. I almost never use a brush anymore.
I had a feeling that was the case. I'll bet your pro rotaries make the sooteater look like a toy.

But the sooteater works pretty good for the homeowner

I just prefer a rock tied to the end of a rope...

My issue is that I have to put some wicked pressure on the rods to make the curve. Then the rod was resting against the edge of the opening for the catalyst and that caused it to get scored and scraped as it spun and it snapped. I think I may have had about 3 rods attached to it at that time. I made and PVC elbow to fit into this spot so that the rod would be in a conduit. I am going to try to see if that will work one more time.
I can't get on the roof safely and I am NOT afraid of heights. The installer had to put a ladder flat on the roof along the pitch and against the back of the chimney. He then put another ladder inside of that ladder and leaned that against the back of the chimney. It worked beautiful, but he seemed to have tons of experience with situations like that.

Everybody seems very happy with the soot eater. I will give it one last shot, but I have to bend the crap out of it to get up there.

I wonder if in this case the Viper might be the best solution. Yes its pricy but over time it will save money.
I assume pulling the insert to clean is not an option.

If I do go with the Viper, which model. There is a blue one that is larger for about $550 and then there is a red Handy Viper for about $450. Any thoughts on that.

The blue viper looks like overkill since the only big difference is 65' long vs 50' long. They are both 7mm diameter rods.

I was not sure if it is just a length difference or if they use a different mechanism to rotate. One might be harder to operate. Not sure.

I could be wrong about the diameter - I saw the 50' could be a 4.5mm diameter rod. Looks like a big weight difference. Might be worth a call to the company but I still think the 65' is way overkill.

What about the flimsy brooms? Just because it makes the bend doesn’t mean it will clean the chimney. It might do ok if you’ve only have loose fluff. It won’t touch any heavy build up or junk in the cap.

I was never confident with the cleaning ability of the viper. If you are going to spend that money just get a pro rotary setup. They are much more flexible.

Can you suggest a model of pro rotary set up? I am unfamiliar with them. Thank you. I will give the soot eater one more shot.
There are lots on the market. We use Perkins white nylon ones. You would want 1/2" rods. There is also snap lock and rod station as well as several others.

Looks like Nylon rods are pretty Flexible. I wonder why sooteater does not use rods this flexible?

Attachments

• screenshot_335.jpg
    screenshot_335.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 179
I can go through the Tee cap, through the 90 and into the stove. It’s pretty amazing. You can still get them bound up and snap a rod though if your not careful.