Can't use soot eater in my FPX large hybrid. Next best bet? Viper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Has anyone used this REALFLO product? It has nylon rods.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.53.04 AM.png

Funny how the seller of the REALFLO says they work down to an 8" flue pipe. You could always trim them smaller for a 6" pipe.

We ran the sooteater into two 45 degree elbow conduits to create a more gentle sweep to get into the flu. For some reason the rods still get scratched up a bit. But, I was able to make it up 30 feet. I need to go about 3 feet more. So, I purchased another kit. As I got near the top, that is when I started hitting some chunkier black stuff. That is creosote, I assume? The bottom 25 feet only had ash-like dust. In total, only about 1.5 cups of crud fell down. Any thoughts on that? Sooteater shows pictures of how you can bend the rods on the box. But, in the directions they say not to have sharp bends or they will snap. That is VERY misleading. But, with the conduit, I was able to get it done. Unfortunately, I have to do another quick cleaning, as I could not make it the last 3 feet and that is where the chunky black stuff was. Why is that? Is that the way it usually is? Thanks.

The flue is coolest up top so soot accumules more.
Vapor condenses rather than escapes when its really cold.

Last edited:
Funny how the seller of the REALFLO says they work down to an 8" flue pipe. You could always trim them smaller for a 6" pipe.
Or just run it as is I never trim the lines on ours

I finally had success using my Sooteater. I had to rig up some conduit to have it smoothly go through the insert and into the flue. I am using two full kits to reach the top.