car battery log splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Post linky? Without more specifics it will be very difficult to evaluate or even give an opinion. One thing for sure is:
A: its gonna be really, really slow....or
B: Its gonna be really, really short lived (needing charging)

And for sure it will be very hard on the battery. I would have to assume electric over hydraulic unless there is some type of screw mechanism involved.

You might have to hook up to a running vehicle.

You might have to hook up to a running vehicle.
Yeah - but...
A normal car battery is not gonna do well under repeated high amperage loads. It is gonna have a short life span, even if being recharged by a car alternator. Logically a person would lean towards a battery that is designed for high discharge rates, such as a marine deep cycle/starting battery. A typical (average) battery of this design would be somewhere around 125 AH discharge rate. That equates to about a 1500W constant (I realize that the load will not be constant, but gotta start somewhere). At 1500W that equates to about 2.0 mechanical HP or right around what the little 5 ton 115V units on the market are at. That is assuming best case where all components are properly matched.
Point being - it is doable - but the build design is gonna make or break the unit as something usable.

Yeah - but...
A normal car battery is not gonna do well under repeated high amperage loads. It is gonna have a short life span, even if being recharged by a car alternator. Logically a person would lean towards a battery that is designed for high discharge rates, such as a marine deep cycle/starting battery. A typical (average) battery of this design would be somewhere around 125 AH discharge rate. That equates to about a 1500W constant (I realize that the load will not be constant, but gotta start somewhere). At 1500W that equates to about 2.0 mechanical HP or right around what the little 5 ton 115V units on the market are at. That is assuming best case where all components are properly matched.
Point being - it is doable - but the build design is gonna make or break the unit as something usable.

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/grd/5349934255.html
00Q0Q_gN0PNylfykg_600x450.jpg

Interesting for a wood splitter museum. I would look for something newer.

The seller says it has a leaky cylinder.
I see in the add that the second pic does show a hose going to the rear. Good catch.
I can't see this as much of a production machine.

Well a plow on a pickup truck has a lift cylinder about that size and is often cycled every minute or so. Might be fun to play around with if you only need to split a bit for Sunday afternoon fires....
If the price is right you at least have a few components...

Well a plow on a pickup truck has a lift cylinder about that size and is often cycled every minute or so. Might be fun to play around with if you only need to split a bit for Sunday afternoon fires....
If the price is right you at least have a few components...

A plow pump runs maybe 10 seconds to lift or angle and it's still very easy to discharge a battery with frequent lift and angle cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.