Carnage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kavu

Jan 30, 2017
Long Island, NY
Ariens 22 log spitter. The wedge got stuck in a log and the log got stuck in the teeth. I tried to back the wedge out and carnage insued. I never imagined i would see the day that there was wood that the splitter couldnt handle. Knots are not my friend.

IMG_2492.JPG IMG_2494.JPG IMG_2495.JPG

Major ouch. I would be giving Ariens some grief about that one.

Is it still under warranty?

30 minute repair, if you have an angle grinder and a welder. Unless your dealer is alarmingly close to your house, I'd not be wasting time to even start the car.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Yeah - that's a pretty easy fix if ya got the tools.
You have just discovered why I don't care for that design. The bolt and tabs that are used for the return of the wedge is a weak point.

I wouldn't even bother making the phone call. I would locate some 1/2 in flat stock for the repair and "over-build "that repair.

This is why I like it here. I totally respect people who just fix things, and don't make a big deal. I'm not equiped to weld, but hope one day to be, as well as some simple blacksmithing. Would rather just make things right myself than fight the man. And, then, when something fails, I have only myself to blame. Until then, I'm taking something later like this back for replacement.

Yeah - that's a pretty easy fix if ya got the tools.
You have just discovered why I don't care for that design. The bolt and tabs that are used for the return of the wedge is a weak point.
I was told by Ariens that the new version of this part fits the same but uses a different type of metal and is shaped slightly different while still fitting. I noticed that the metal tabs are slightly thicker on the new version.

I measure my splitter in cords, not years. Mine is about 36 cords old.

Makes mine around 145 cords old. Finally has a problem. Would't start yesterday, no spark. Guess it is tired and old like its owner. Little short on spark my ownself.

No longer under warranty :( but I have an extended warranty through my CC so going to give that a try.
I think you would be far more satisfied if you took it to your local welding shop and have it done right. As easily as that tore apart I would want something more than slightly thicker to replace it.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I would be kind of leery about why that happened. The lever should have kicked off well before it got to that point.

Well, I guess - unless you were holding the lever back, maybe? In that case, mine just has a single bolt holding the wedge, thru the end of the cylinder. Not sure how much it would stand.

I think you would be far more satisfied if you took it to your local welding shop and have it done right. As easily as that tore apart I would want something more than slightly thicker to replace it.
Thanks. Considering that as one of my options. Was concerned with making it too strong if that was the design point for it to give there?

I was
I would be kind of leery about why that happened. The lever should have kicked off well before it got to that point.

Well, I guess - unless you were holding the lever back, maybe? In that case, mine just has a single bolt holding the wedge, thru the end of the cylinder. Not sure how much it would stand.
I was holding the lever trying to remove the wedge from the log. :(

Thanks. Considering that as one of my options. Was concerned with making it too strong if that was the design point for it to give there?
That was a design flaw and not a built in safety feature. They should never fail at any point.

Reactions: kavu and Ashful
Change the design
Wedge on the beam with a push plate on the ram.A welder could do with a little extra steel.