Carport woodshed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
I recently acquired a 10 x 20 carport. I plan to use it to hold some wood my splitter, and maybe my yt4000. The more wood I have ready the less equipment will go in.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap. I need a sub floor raised up a few inches to a foot due to flooding. My plan is to find pallets for free, on top of cinder blocks, with plywood holding everything together. So essentially I'm trying to build a sub floor with pallets and blocks.

Has anyone tried this?

Does it have doors on the ends? If so, leave them off. I used to store my boat in one with end doors and the condensation was incredible on the inside. I'd never do that again. In the wintertime it actually looked like a cloths dryer vent when the sun first hit it in the morning - the steam was just billowing out of the door vents.

One door in the front. I'm more concerned with building the floor.

How high do you want to go?

I would probably just do double pallets with a plywood top. It will all depend on the structual integrity of the pallets you choose. Screw the pallets to the plywood and each other. Over lap different sizes to maximize structural integity. Will probably make great living quarters for all kinds of small animals.

Check with your local lumberyard and see if they have 18' or 20' x 4' pallets that Kleer or Azak trim boards come on they will make a more solid one pc. base for your floor. I use them for my stacks they work great and you should be able to get them for free.

I ended up getting a bunch of pallets from a moving company. I ditched the cinder block idea and just tired the pallets together with 5/8 in ply.
zeve4esy.jpg
a6y6e5y6.jpg
ba6u5ata.jpg

Looks good!
Is that a 1/2 wrench sticking out of the grass in front of the concrete slab? ;lol

Reactions: ironspider
I built a carport this past spring that I use to store my firewood and wood hauler. It works out pretty handy because I can pull the truck full of rounds and splitter right next to whatever section I'm stacking in. I pull right off the truck, split and stack pretty efficiently. Wood stays dry. And my good old truck now has a dry place to sit. Each section is about 6 1/2' Wide x 6 1/2" Tall x 32" deep and both of those trash cans are full of kindling. All of this is about 1/2 of my wood storage. This should take care of 2015-16 nicely.

NCM_0258.jpg
NCM_0259.jpg

Attachments

• NCM_0260(1).jpg
    NCM_0260(1).jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 196
Reactions: osagebow
Ok, so it's up and I believe ist secure. But, the taps leave quite a gap. Thoughts on that regarding keeping wood and the splitter in there? One side is a bit higher so water will trickle through. Any ideas how to make this tight?
ny3ynedu.jpg

Oh and stacking wood in here. My stacking skills are lacking, I plan to store a couple cords in here, but I have no clue how to do it safely, if a stack falls it rips the cover! Need lots of advice. And btw, the other half hates this thing, not a happy woman.

The exposed particle board is going to deteriorate rapidly. Maybe 1x6 pressure treated boards installed from the inside towards the outside and attached to the exterior flooring. The finished product would be angled to shed water off the particle board flooring.

Not sure I understand that. How could I angle it when the base is already done?

I thought this would be water proof so I went with the cheap 5/8 particle board to save a lot of cash.

I was thinking the same about the particle board, maybe painting it would help preserve it some? At this point maybe you could jack up one side and give it some pitch so the water would have a chance to run off. Maybe some PT 4x4s under one side if thats even possible? And maybe paint the carport camo or something so she won't see it ;)

Not sure I understand that. How could I angle it when the base is already done?

I understand. The engineer that designed this should have his license taken away. Here is a scetch of a band aid that may help.

Attachments

• board to shed water.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,206
I understand. The engineer that designed this should have his license taken away. Here is a scetch of a band aid that may help.

I don't even know what company made this, it doesn't say on the box.

I had considered putting wood between the tarp and the base. I'm also trying to see if there is a way to attach a small tarp to the sides and over the ends of the base. I don't think i could sew tarps together though.

Ok, so it's up and I believe ist secure. But, the taps leave quite a gap. Thoughts on that regarding keeping wood and the splitter in there? One side is a bit higher so water will trickle through. Any ideas how to make this tight?
If your plan is to dry firewood in here, you really don't want it tight. The layer of sheathing will work well to keep ground moisture down a bit (although the product you chose may not last too many years), but I'd definitely install a second layer of pallets or PT stringers to get the wood up off the floor and get airflow from below. You want some way to allow air to flow thru the structure, which on a sunny day will want to come in the bottom and leave the top, due to solar heating.

I wouldn't expect your foundation pallets to last too long, sitting right on the ground like that in an area subject to flooding. They will rot pretty quick. I think I would have stuck with the block plan - but it does look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.