Carport woodshed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't expect your foundation pallets to last too long, sitting right on the ground like that in an area subject to flooding. They will rot pretty quick. I think I would have stuck with the block plan - but it does look good.
Most of our pallets 'round here are made of white or red oak. The white oak ones can last quite a while in those conditions. Red oak... not so much.

If they're pine pallets, you'll be replacing them every third year.

I'm not sure how long I'll get, but I'm also expecting the town to make me remove it at some point. Southampton town is a pain.

Believe it or not we've had almost no rain since I put this up so I have no clue where the water will go. I did however figure out how to lower the sides by placing 3in blocks in the bungees and affixing the tarp to the boards, only on the high side. I have no wood ready for it yet, but by fall I should have at least two cords to put in it. Now I need a fool proof way of my stacks not falling and tearing it up

Jack the floor unit up with your car jack and place some shims along the jacked up side so it raised it just a touch (or whatever amount you feel necessary). That way the water will run off.

Go to your local hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) or Nursery (Star World, etc.) and get yourself some 6 mil plastic to lay on the floor before you buy "Log Stackers" from Walmart online. They're about $17 plus four 2 x 4s that are 10' long. Cut two of them in half for the uprights. Now you can easily stack a single row 10' long by 5' high off the floor of your shed.

Get some heavy duty velcro for the tarps so they don't flap in the wind.

Paint "I LOVE YOU" on the side your wife sees . . . she'll feel better about it, especially if you do it in her favorite color. ;)

I had somewhat the exact carport....watch the snow load, mine gave out at the plastic joints and collapsed. I since then, bought a Shelter Logic of the same size, a bit more $$$, but a lot beefier. Mine was built on top of 4x4 spiked into the ground, the cover lasted two years, what you see is the blue tarp I had to throw over it mid winter.

The Shelter Logic has no plastic to it....all heavy piping. Had an issue with the anchors, everywhere I drilled them into the ground, hit rocks.....got two fully buried and attached to the shelter, and tie it to the Pop Up to help keep it grounded. When this one needs to be re-skinned, will buy a new one for the skin, and use the new frame for wood storage with a tarp to skin it

Last edited:
This seams to be very sturdy. I have it anchored very well and thr the tarp is nice and taught .no wood in there yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.