Casement vs. Double Hung Windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a casement window in my home which I bought from Heritage Home Designs http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/ Casement windows are best installed in places that are tall. This makes the flat panel of the casement more effective in directing cool air into your house making them ideal for hot summers. They are more energy efficient than double hung windows

We put double hung windows for our porch replacements instead of casements. I didn't want to have an open window protruding into seating space on the porch. Double-hung is a better visual look there too. But they do not seal as well as casements in other parts of the house.

Well, it's been over a year since I posted on this thread and I can still say that I hate casements, lol. We did manage to get rid of one, but only because we moved an entrance to where it was located. I would still like to get rid of the other one, still hate how it sticks out from the house and takes up space.

Status
Not open for further replies.