Castle Serenity stove too hot to touch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rogerdawks19

Jan 16, 2019
Maine
Got the stove up and running today and noticed the sides get extremely hot. Anything longer than a quick, glancing touch will definitely cause some burns. I've had a few stoves (10+ years old) previously that were warm, at most very warm, to the touch so this is quite new to me.

Anyone here know if this is normal? I tried searching both here and Google but found no luck.

Thanks!

The stove is made from formed sheet steel and the front half of the stove where the firebox is located will be very hot and could cause burns.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
As Ssyko mentions, the front half of the sides are part of the burn chamber and will get quite hot. Still, they meet the regulations set forth by the governing bodies, so the set backs printed in the operator manual should meet code unless someone with more info on code can chime in here. You should of course take caution with pets and young children, just as you would with a block wood stove. The door glass gets even hotter than the sides.
However, the room fan must be functioning and at a fast enough speed to get heat away from the stove, or the stove will over temp and shut down. This is a safety feature. Check your exhaust blower settings in the control panel to make certain they are fast enough for each heat setting.

I checked mine...the front side panels while running on level 1, are at 325 degrees.