Cat Cleaning - Ideal Steel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 6, 2018
Maine
It's Summah in Maine after my first year with the Ideal Steel. Wowza that thing kept us warm..and sometimes hot and happy! Actually if the temp outside ever reached 40 it was too warm to start the stove...but that's for another post.

The instructions on cleaning the cat are a little bit thin, any tips for a Summer deep clean that won't have me accidentally damaging it?

Thanks!
-Mark

That’s a great stove. One of my top 3 stoves To try out.

Look at the cat, maybe dust it off with a soft paint brush. If the cells are clear I don’t believe there is anything you can or should do. It will just sit there until your first fall fire.

If it was not performing well or clogged then we can come up with a plan.

This stove docs are better than a lot of manuals. It just needs a gentle cleaning and blowout.

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 8.15.26 AM.png

Is Maine Photographic in Rockport still there Mark?

Last edited:
I have the PH, all I do is clean the ash off then spray it with a vinegar/distilled water combo, the rinse it with distilled water and let it dry. Good to go for another year.

I have the PH, all I do is clean the ash off then spray it with a vinegar/distilled water combo, the rinse it with distilled water and let it dry. Good to go for another year.

You remove the cat first though right?

I am curious about this too. I have had my Ideal Steel for three years and have just dusted off and cleaned it that way. Last winter it seemed like the cat never got up to the good cruising temperatures I saw the years previous.

It shouldn't be time for a new cat in my opinion yet so maybe a vinegar/ distilled water treatment in the future....

Reactions: Twigster