cat dutchwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

truckerkev

Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Dartmouth, Ma
Great site people, been lerking for awhile. My question is, I have a xg consolidated dutchwest w/cat for about 3 yrs. I here some people say that when the cat kicks on, or when they engage the cat it makes a big difference. I get good burn times and heat my intire house, 1800sq' wide open floor plan, but i have only seen my cat glowing mabye twice. am I doing somthing wrong. thank you

The cat doesn't have to glow to be working. It only glows when it reaches temps over 1000 degrees. Cecking your chimney for smoke and monitoring stove temps are other ways to determine if your cat is working properly.

Thanks Todd, my prob for the cat is usaly around 1000, sometime 1200. I dont have any other thermomiter on the stove. should i have 1 of those magnet jobs? thanks again

You should have both a cat probe and a stove temp meter and many would also suggest a flue thermometer. Abosolutely need a stove meter, one of those magnet jobs.

truckerkev said:
Great site people, been lerking for awhile. My question is, I have a xg consolidated dutchwest w/cat for about 3 yrs. I here some people say that when the cat kicks on, or when they engage the cat it makes a big difference. I get good burn times and heat my intire house, 1800sq' wide open floor plan, but i have only seen my cat glowing mabye twice. am I doing somthing wrong. thank you

Hi neighbor!

I have an older CDW large federal cat stove and I have never seen the cat glow due to the fact that it would be dangerous to open the cooktop with it running.. My stove came with a cat temp probe in the cooktop so I can monitor it.. How old is your stove because the newer ones are much different than mine.. To get to my cat all you have to do is lift the little cooktop piece (approx. 10"x10" plate) and it resides under there.. Very easy to access with no tools but I think the newer ones have "integrated" the cooktop so the top is one piece.. You can get th pdf manual for your stove if you don't have it online.. If you can't locate it lemme know and I will provide the link..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.