Cat temp and draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John B

Sep 26, 2012
Hi,

This fall I relined an existing 25' masonry chimney with a 8" SS flex liner (insulated) and installed a Kuma Sequoia insert. This thing drafts like crazy and I have been been experimenting with restricting the intake in order to get the draft under control. A damper isnt really an option for me due to the insert installation. Also, a damper would just be another knob my wife would have to remember to use when she runs the stove, so this is to be avoided.

One thing I have noticed, is that I basically have to burn the thing with the primary air totally closed (or open like 1/8") to get reasonable cat temps in the 900-1000 or so range on the condar cat temp probe. If I open up the primary more it appears that the cat temps get cooler not hotter even though I get more flames in the box. I assume this is because the draft is pulling all of the heat out of the box. It seems then as the load burns down I need to open the primary more to get the temps back up.

I've spoken to the folks at Kuma and they have been helpful but I am interested in more opinions. One thing they did was send me a cat baffle with slight smaller holes to help protect the cat from flame impingement and I assume slow down the draft, but I haven't noticed much change with that.

Does this make sense, and is it normal to get higher cat temps with the stove turned down? I've owned other cat stoves but never had one with a cat temp probe so Im not used to this type of measurement.

Thanks
John

You could install a pipe damper, then connect a rod and come through the front of the surround with it. You might have to write out instructions for others to operate the stove, though. ;)
I try to keep cat temps 1000-1500, max. If you open the air further and have more flame in the box, the flame burns the smoke and less will go to the combustor which will then burn a little cooler. Not too much cooler though, in my experience, but I don't have a Kuma.