catalyst parts options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Feb 13, 2022
Wisconsin
Hi all, I have a new hearthstone green mountain 60. I am enjoying the stove and no real issues. Burns great and keeps the house very warm in the winter. I am so far very happy with it.

One question I have is on alternatives for ordering parts, specifically replacement catalysts for the stove.

I just got done ordering a set of replacement cats for this stove from the manufacturer that took four months to get the parts shipped (dealer wasted no time charging my card immediately of course). I plan on putting these cats on the shelf in the garage for the future, I don't want any issues with cats if there is a real emergency and we need heat in the house. With the turn around time to get these cats to me, it reinforces my concern. I wouldn't mind putting one or two more pairs on the shelf for long term.

I noticed theres a few websites that sell replacement cats, but only list them by dimensions. Seems the cats for this stove are 2 1/2 x 6 5/8 x 2 1/4.

Anyone seen this dimension cat sold anywhere? Or have better luck getting parts from specific dealers? Thanks!

Ditto on Midwest. Worth checking them out. No complaints.

I’ve thought about doing this my self. Make sure you store them in a way that keeps them clean.
Yeah I plan on just putting them in a plastic ziplock bag, keeping the protective shipping wrap around them and amongst all my other wood stove parts in a cardboard box out in the garage off the ground. Any concern you can think of in storing them that way?

Also I wonder if humidity would be a concern… they can go 5 years in the stove so you’re talking about a 10+ year plan. A little moisture can do a lot in that time.

Also I wonder if humidity would be a concern… they can go 5 years in the stove so you’re talking about a 10+ year plan. A little moisture can do a lot in that time.
It's a good thought, I have some old 50cal ammo cans with gaskets. It's not too much to throw some desiccant bags in there and store them that way. This way all the bases are covered.

I have a spare cat for my stove, I didnt even open the box it came in, I literally got and put on the shelf above my work bench, its in a sealed cardboard box with crumpled paper packing, so I'm not to worried about moisture for 3 or 4 year storage.

Trying to get a few of these, Midwest has been sold out for months. Anyone have a secondary suggestion? Having trouble locating.

Thanks, Dave

If this is just a spare and no emergency then it might be better to just wait a few months until the season dies down.
Otherwise, Condar? Have you tried the dealer?
or