Catalyst Thermometer Calibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chadhamre

Dec 24, 2023
Colorado
My brand new catalyst thermometer for my Princess 29 insert is showing strange temperatures. Is it faulty?

At room temperature it the indicator looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 9.53.07 PM.png

At operating temperature it reads off the charts, or is my stove running WAY to hot?

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 9.45.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 9.45.44 PM.png

With a new stove/cat the cat temp can be really high. If you had a Condar gauge instead of the stock BK gauge that reading would still be in the normal operating range most likely.

While mine looks slightly different than yours, that first “tick” mark is where mine sits when it’s stone cold. I agree with dons post above, more than likely after a few weeks will settle in to the 12-300 range on the cat gage.

It’s pretty close to perfect. I wouldn’t mess with the calibration.

Reactions: stoveliker
The cat will loose its wild juvenile behavior after a cord thru the stove. This is common. Nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Highbeam