CATALYTIC COMBUSTER REPLACEMENT HELP???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

augerin

Oct 5, 2008
Mi
I am rebuilding my Defiant Encore (Vermont Castings) Stove and have realized I need to replace the combustor as well. After sticker shock for replacement catalst I started checking around and found alot of different options were now available for my stove. Now I'm really confused, Steel. ceramic , the Applied ceramics co. or Stovecombusters.com, I don't want to experiment but think their is more than just OEM options. Any comments or ideas would help alot, It's cold and I need to get the stove running, Thanks, Tom

You're right...There are many manufactureres who can supply you with a combustor that will both fit & work.
Your call as to which one you wnat to use...We use Sand Hill for our parts - mainly because of the poor response from VC/Majestic/Monessen
or whatever they're known as today...
The Combustors are like everything else, tho...
If I told you that Sand Hill made good ones, three other people will tell you horror stories...
Tkae your chances & get what you want, but I'd buy one locally, if possible, so if there's a problem,
you can deal with a real person face to face - instead of a techie in India...

I bought direct from Applied Ceramics web site. Very happy with it so far.

augerin said:
115 BUCKS FOR CATALYTIC REPLACEMENT,WHERE DO I GET IT ---IS THIS FOR A DEFIANT ENCORE?? TOM

No its not for the defiant it was for a CVDW I think they are the same size . I bought 2 new one s last year gave one away with the stove in the fall .

Use steel catalysts. Woodmans sells the 6" round for CDW, small for Int II and Small WinterWarm and large for Encore, Defiant and Large WinterWarm. They light off faster and will not fall apart from poorly constructed substrate. They do warp and twist a bit but they still perform well in this condition. VC currently uses steel catalysts in all their cat models.

The Defiant Encore uses a rectangle shaped combustor. Its going to be somewhere between $180 and $200 no matter where
you get it from. However, if you do find one for less, let me know! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.