Catalytic Combustor?? Can you see through them??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amybc96

Hearth Supporter
Aug 23, 2010
new England
my catalytic combustor looks good but should i be able to look through it?? lots of square holes!!
is there anything else to them?
old dovre 390
thanks

Yes, you should be able to see through them. The holes are there for the smoke and gas to ignite as they pass through. If you burn wet wood those holes can plug up with ash and creosote. After burning about a cord of wood you should check your cat and brush or vacuume if needed.

Here is a good site with a wealth of info on cats.

http://www.firecatcombustors.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the forum amybc96.

Yes, you can see through those little squares. And when we remove our cat for cleaning, we just take an old paint brush to it as all there is will be some white fly ash. As to how often to clean the cat, a lot depends upon your fuel and your burning practices. With our dry wood we've found the cleaning to be more like every 2 cords, but bear in mind we're talking wood that has been split and stacked 6-7 years. That will end this year though as we only have about a cord of that older wood and will be burning 2 year old wood.

keep it clean, it'll last a while. make a point to turn the oil on for a couple hrs every heating season so you can pull that bad boy out and vaccum it. They are big $ item, but the better you treat them, the better they treat U!!! And yes, you should see daylight thru them.. it's when they fall apart and U cant then it is a bad thing!

Hey Summit, we don't have a backup heating system and have no trouble getting the cat clean and keeping the house warm. Also, we do not use a vaccum but only an old paint brush.

When we do the cat, we also do not let the stove cool down completely (forgive me Lord for writing this!). I simply wait for a fairly warm and sunny day and let the fire burn down to coals and then let the coals burn down a good amount. Then, using welder's gloves, simply lift the cat out and quickly go to the back porch. Brush the thing and stick it back in the stove. Takes 2-3 minutes total. Once the cat is back in, fire up the stove again with the remaining coals and all is well.

Also most cats aren't that expensive, or I don't think they are ($100 the last I checked for our stove). Cheap maintenance and you are paid back many times over for the extra heat you get by using the cat stove.

That old Dovre may have more to it getting that cat out compared to our Fireviews. The Fireview is prolly the most user friendly cat stove out there maintenance wise.

Compared to the last stove, the BK is pretty simple as well. Drop the guard, little brush, done.

Status
Not open for further replies.