Catalytic Combustor Temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jaykay

Nov 21, 2022
Virginia
How do I measure the temperature of my combustor on my Englander 24 ACD? Where would I even put the probe in? Where can I buy one?

Side note: I found a little hole area behind the heat shields which is sorta near the combustor but not sure if that comes off or what… tried to mark it with the arrow.

ADA5F541-1C4E-48C7-ABE5-415841C565B2.jpeg

From the manual:
There is a ¼” diameter hole located on the left side near the rear of the unit which is covered with a ¼” plug; the plug can be removed and a catalytic probe thermometer (Part #AC-13) inserted through this hole, which will monitor the operating temperature of the combustor. We recommend the use of the Condor probe thermometer .

Reactions: jaykay
From the manual:
There is a ¼” diameter hole located on the left side near the rear of the unit which is covered with a ¼” plug; the plug can be removed and a catalytic probe thermometer (Part #AC-13) inserted through this hole, which will monitor the operating temperature of the combustor. We recommend the use of the Condor probe thermometer .
That’s about the dimension of that hole within the heat shield. It’s on the left side of the unit. That must be it. Do I leave that plug out or do I take the plug out and just check it before activating and then plug it back up

Leave the plug in until ready to install the recommended catalyst thermometer. The thermometer will then plug the hole. The Englander part # is AC-13.

Reactions: jaykay