Catch and release

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1270

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
www.workbyhand.com
Stumbled on this by the side of the road, one mile from my house. Couldn't get any easier, but I have nowhere to put it, so there it stays. This still being my first year, I'm amazed how much unwanted wood there is in my area. On the way to my shop there's a guy with a pile of half-seasoned mulberry that he's been trying to give away for weeks, and it's just sitting there unloved in his driveway. Such a contrast to when the weather was cold and it was a race to get to scrounge opportunities first, even when the wood was fresh-cut.

photo(4).JPG

I would have to find a spot for that.

That looks like some nice stuff. I'm in Pittsburgh and would be willing to take it if its still available.

I'll send you a rough location, and you can check it out if you like. The wood was not advertised and I haven't talked to the homeowner, but it sure looks available to me.

Reactions: ScotO
I'll send you a rough location, and you can check it out if you like. The wood was not advertised and I haven't talked to the homeowner, but it sure looks available to me.

good lookin' out, Jon. Loved those crazy brick streets in the winter! looks like McKeesport.

Looks like some red maple to me.....great SS wood, and by the looks of it, free for the taking! Contact the adjacent landowener and ask. Most of that wood looks like easy-splitting straight grained stuff!

red maple or maybe choke cherry?

Stumbled on this by the side of the road, one mile from my house. Couldn't get any easier, but I have nowhere to put it, so there it stays. This still being my first year, I'm amazed how much unwanted wood there is in my area. On the way to my shop there's a guy with a pile of half-seasoned mulberry that he's been trying to give away for weeks, and it's just sitting there unloved in his driveway. Such a contrast to when the weather was cold and it was a race to get to scrounge opportunities first, even when the wood was fresh-cut.

Jon, if at all possible, I'd try to get that mulberry!

Hey Jon,
I swung by earlier to check this out. A guy, who said he was the homeowner, was loading it up when I got there. Thanks for the heads up though.

Aw, sorry Snigg. Hope you didn't go to far out of your way.

And yes, this was a cherry tree.

Jon, if at all possible, I'd try to get that mulberry!

Got some already, and I may grab a few more pieces. It's just that... there's so much wood around! Besides the ~4.5 cords already on my property, I've got dibs on about a cord and a half of stuff that's already CSS on someone else's property. This morning I went to check on it to make sure the stack wasn't falling over, and there was a big cherry tree that had fallen over right next to the pile, that I'm sure I could have if I wanted it. Can't hardly beat it off with a stick.

I'd get that cherry too. Any room in your basement for it?;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.