catt.vs Secondary burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cedariley

Nov 27, 2011
Cle.Ak.Ohio
i have been looking at a VC, winter warm unit, about 10 yrs. old, in nice shape, but am concerned about the catalyatic
element replacement. I know this has never been replaced, and am a better off with a new insert, that has the secondary
combustion system. Prefer a unit where i can attach (outside air ), even though some sales people say i don't need it.
Thanks, for any sugestions, or what unit you would reccomend in the $ 1500,/ $2000.00 range.

Hey, welcome to the forum. What is the square footage of the area you are looking to heat? Does that budget include a chimney liner? If not you will need to reconsider your budget because it is recommended strongly that you line the chimney all the way from the unit to the cap. I have an insert and its fantastic but proper install is super important.

Welcome to the forum. If the unit is in good internal shape and very reasonably priced, then it may be worthwhile to get a new cat and run it. But I would personally want to start off with a new stove. We need to know the fireplace dimensions including front, back and the depth to know what would fit. But I would start with an Enviro Boston 1700 while looking. How large an area are you looking to heat?

Thanks, for the reply, from you both. my firebox is; 25.5 H x 40.75 w x 23.o D. I have a large fa.room,
with a cathedral ceiling & loft, (26ft.high ) there is 2 fans, pushing air down, but at this time, i keep the heat set
at 60-62 deg., but the gas co still loves me. the used Winter warm unit is in the 1500dollar range, but since the code
calls for a full liner,( 12x12 Clay flue ),/ exterior brick 25ft. i would have to use an 8in. liner, and possibly a thermal
wrap. now that get's pricey !! Back to my existing outside air, i really hate to draft my inside air for combustion air.
nor do I like the idea,of cracking a window open, as has been sugested by some. i noticed the Osborn 2400 has an
accessory outside air kit, as well as the Jotol, and some others. i hope this post keeps me in the latter part, of your
quote. again, my thanks,

My issue with the WinterWarm was that it required an 8" liner, the cat, the cat assembly, and they didn't put out as much heat as you would think they would considering the initial install cost and ongoing maintenance.

For just a little over $1500 you can get an Osburn 2000 which, I believe, has a larger firebox, would be cheaper to install, and cheaper to maintain.
http://www.woodstoves.net/osburn/wood/2000 Insert.htm

And, unless you have a super tight and insulated home, I wouldn't worry about an outside air kit, yet.

cedariley said:
i have been looking at a VC, winter warm unit, about 10 yrs. old, in nice shape, but am concerned about the catalyatic
element replacement. I know this has never been replaced, and am a better off with a new insert, that has the secondary
combustion system. Prefer a unit where i can attach (outside air ), even though some sales people say i don't need it.
Thanks, for any sugestions, or what unit you would reccomend in the $ 1500,/ $2000.00 range.

To clarify some, cat & non-cat units live by secondary combustion. The cat enables that to light-off at lower temps- 600 deg F vice 1100.

Using a 10-yr-old insert as your main wood-fired heater might not be advisable; we've learned much since then, and it's probably been beaten on, thermally. Personally, I'd look into a stove that meets your needs, with a stainless flue up the existing tile flue. Much to be said for doing something well, once.

CTYank said:
cedariley said:

To clarify some, cat & non-cat units live by secondary combustion. The cat enables that to light-off at lower temps- 600 deg F vice 1100.

Using a 10-yr-old insert as your main wood-fired heater might not be advisable; we've learned much since then, and it's probably been beaten on, thermally. Personally, I'd look into a stove that meets your needs, with a stainless flue up the existing tile flue. Much to be said for doing something well, once.

Buying your first stove used is tough since you lack a lot of key information that is needed. But, I both agree and disagree that a 10 year old stove would not pan out. This particular stove probably would lead to disappointment, but the 15-20 year old Catalytic Encore I bought this summer is running like a clean and efficient champ. But, that goes back to my first part; you need to know what to look for.

I would not pay $1500 for an 11 yr old Winterwarm. Period, end of story. Get a new Jotul C550, PE Summit, Hearthstone Clydesdale, Enviro Boston (or Venice) 1700, BK Princess, whatever.

BeGreen said:
I would not pay $1500 for an 11 yr old Winterwarm. Period, end of story. Get a new Jotul C550, PE Summit, Hearthstone Clydesdale, Enviro Boston (or Venice) 1700, BK Princess, whatever.

Oh god, yeah. I totally glanced over the price. I think one of the local stoves had a large WinterWarm new went for a little more than that.

My sincere thanks to all that have advised me on the Winter warm. Well, after facing reality, I have taken the advise
and am looking at the Jotul 500 cf. as wellas the Qudra-fire Voyageur, (with outside air). Ya, I just can't get off my
outside air band box, even though I fell my home is quite air tight, I watch my 2 lab rescues run out the doggie door
all day long. My wife likes the Voyager flat look. so where do you go after that happens. You guys sure got me off
the $ 2000.00 mark, but as one of you quoted, do it right the first time !! Again, my thanks to all, and if you have
any more sugestions, I appreciate them, ( but don't forget the wife factor ) And to the Moderator, I'll try to
remember the ( Bertrand quote. It's a classic !! )

cedariley said:
My sincere thanks to all that have advised me on the Winter warm. Well, after facing reality, I have taken the advise
and am looking at the Jotul 500 cf. as wellas the Qudra-fire Voyageur, (with outside air). Ya, I just can't get off my
outside air band box, even though I fell my home is quite air tight, I watch my 2 lab rescues run out the doggie door
all day long. My wife likes the Voyager flat look. so where do you go after that happens. You guys sure got me off
the $ 2000.00 mark, but as one of you quoted, do it right the first time !! Again, my thanks to all, and if you have
any more sugestions, I appreciate them, ( but don't forget the wife factor ) And to the Moderator, I'll try to
remember the ( Bertrand quote. It's a classic !! )

The Voyager is a pretty small insert. It is under 2 cu ft.

Sounds like you're getting a little caught up with the outside air kit. I would advise to focus on an insert that is at least 2.25 cf firebox size, looks appealing to your tastes, fits in your fireplace and budget. I bought my osburn at www.dynamitebuys.com. They had the lowest prices I could find on the web. Hope that helps.

If you have doggie doors, your house is not air tight. You are already getting outside air.

Status
Not open for further replies.