Cawley LeMay(s)

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Thanks...that sounds a rather daunting task for me though! I might look for someone in my neck of the woods who does repairs on stoves. In theory it seems a logical step by step process but I would be nervous taking it all apart even if I knew how. ..and you are likely right about the seams needing some cement recaulking after so many years. The rope caulking around the door still looks really good, oddly enough
And what kind of paint would you recommend? I thought the Ottosson was paint
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it
I would recommend stove brite or aw perkins paint. But at this point you can't use them without completely stripping off what you put on

Nov 21, 2020
NeK Vermont
Thanks...that sounds a rather daunting task for me though! I might look for someone in my neck of the woods who does repairs on stoves. In theory it seems a logical step by step process but I would be nervous taking it all apart even if I knew how. ..and you are likely right about the seams needing some cement recaulking after so many years. The rope caulking around the door still looks really good, oddly enough
And what kind of paint would you recommend? I thought the Ottosson was paint
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it
Id use either Stove Bright Or Thurmalox, satin black would look the best/most original in my opinion. But you will have to wait a year or two till all that oil based stuff burns off. Or sandblast it

Featherjourney

May 3, 2021
Central MA
I would recommend stove brite or aw perkins paint. But at this point you can't use them without completely stripping off what you put on
Thanks! Although I’m very happy with the paint I used and maybe you might check it out sometime. There are 2 ingredients: pure linseed oil and graphite. Let’s the metal surface breath. Non toxic to use. Been used in Sweden on wood stoves for a very long time.
But I appreciate your suggestions. Kind of you

Featherjourney

May 3, 2021
Central MA
Thanks! Although I’m very happy with the paint I used and maybe you might check it out sometime. There are 2 ingredients: pure linseed oil and graphite. Let’s the metal surface breath. Non toxic to use. Been used in Sweden on wood stoves for a very long time.
using the Ottosson paint
1620083690928.png

Reactions: Deranged Hermit

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
It is cast iron it doesn't need to breath. Lots of things were used for a long time untill something better was made available. There is nothing really wrong with polish it just doesn't hold up well and makes it a real pain if you want to paint.