CB 6048 - cleaning chimney stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulybagger

Sep 3, 2008
Scotland,CT
Anyone ever clean there chimney on a central boiler? I have 3 sections of pipe and it's really to high to clean from the top. I think i've got some creosote build up that is slowing my draft. Is the back cap that's at the bottom of the pipe a clean out where you may possibly be able to run a brush up the pipe? Who just lets a fire rip up the pipe to clear it? That would be the easiest way. My wood is on the greener side but it's all I have now so I have to make do.

Ulybagger said:
Anyone ever clean there chimney on a central boiler? I have 3 sections of pipe and it's really to high to clean from the top. I think i've got some creosote build up that is slowing my draft. Is the back cap that's at the bottom of the pipe a clean out where you may possibly be able to run a brush up the pipe? Who just lets a fire rip up the pipe to clear it? That would be the easiest way. My wood is on the greener side but it's all I have now so I have to make do.

I never had to clean out mine - but I ran fairly dry wood in it. You should be able to look up the pipe using a small mirror and hold it in the pipe to see up it. If it is dirty then you can run a brush up and through it. I wouldn't recommend burning it out with 3 sections of pipe - I would think that would be pretty hard on the insulation in the pipe as its going to have to burn petty darn hot. If you have a cap on the top, I would get rid of that as this would slow down the draft and during the burning season it should be fine without one. Just throw a cap or bucket over it when you shut it down for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.