Cedar vs. Lighter Pine kindle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an abundance of heart pine,fatwood, down here. You can lite a big piece of it. Just lay a piece on hot coals and away it goes. Burns hot. Found an old growth stump on ridge above house, it is amazing how it burns. Must be at least 3 ft across.

Well there is no pine on the locations I have on my profile of where I live at plenty cedar though. Yet I am in my other house in Texas and brought home couple 24 inch rounds of cedar from up there and people are selling these gallon ziplock bags of lighter pine for $10 and thought that was outrageous, so I'm going to drop my price in half and mine is going to be cedar that instant lights on contact.

Got plenty of cedar too, but heart pine burns longer and hotter. Least ways that has been my experience.

Dang I could be a millionaire.

That's amazing, I can't believe they get 15 bucks for a bag of pine!!! A big bundle here goes for 5 bucks.

I was thinking same thing on the $15 and if you look on website they have others going for $20. So I'm making me few bags of cedar sell for $10 and see what happens if nothing then I will try $5, not like I'm going to burn all this kindling anytime soon. Though it's nice to burn in summer time at night up in Quilcene.

Yeah me to got fire pit we burn pine in. Love smell of it.

Grew up with dad saying pine is junk and never was told reason except its poisonous smoke that will mess your food up, real sooty and will clog wood stove up, so I always thought only good pine was the lighter pine. Being here awhile seems any tree I see come around I'm taking it to burn just depends on species as to what part of year to burn it. Take the lighter pine up north and sell it to folks that have none around lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.