Ceiling clearence question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have been reading all over the place about having a good 6' from the stove up.

If this is true, then stoves + hearth would need to be less than 2ft tall for average ceilings. Doesn't sound right.

If this is true, then stoves + hearth would need to be less than 2ft tall for average ceilings. Doesn't sound right.
It isn't. 84" (7') is a typical minimum ceiling height requirement.

Correct.

It isn't. 84" (7') is a typical minimum ceiling height requirement.
So if you have typical 8 foot ceilings, you would not be able to have your stove sitting on a hearth that is any higher than 12 inches?? (barring adding ceiling shields)?

So if you have typical 8 foot ceilings, you would not be able to have your stove sitting on a hearth that is any higher than 12 inches?? (barring adding ceiling shields)?
That is also correct for several stoves.

Well after figuring get it all out. I think I had better wait. I can get the stove for $800, but tye cheapest I can get here, because I am not buying from a set stove dealers is $2000 to do the install without the pipe. In the near future we will be doing a major remodel to our house. Then I think we could switch, because then it could go into a different room that has a 8' ceiling. For now I had better stick with the pellet stove.

Reactions: bcrtops
Could be a good plan and maybe even better heating if that location is more central in the house.

Could be a good plan and maybe even better heating if that location is more central in the house.

Better to wait until you have the funds to do it right & the way best suited for your needs.
Excellent.