Ceiling Fan vs. Optional Blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rosem

Aug 27, 2019
Northern Michigan
If you had a ceiling fan almost directly above your wood stove, would you bother to get the optional blower?

Our ceilings are 8' tall and the center of the fan is maybe 6'–8' offset from the stove.

The stove is a Jotul F 55.

Would not bother with a blower. Ceiling fan on low in the right direction creates enough air movement.. I can tell as soon as i shut mine off...

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I run my ceiling fan in opposite direction. Runs heat down the walls much more even heat.

Reactions: begreen
How necessary are fans and blowers for getting heat into the back corners of our homes? My main concern is the bathrooms off the bedrooms. We will have ceiling fans installed soon enough, but I'd like to think that heat would seek out the cool and eventually get the whole house.

We've got most of our stove install completed, but I've got a couple weeks before the chimney is done and I can finally fire this up.

My back bedrooms are cool but not too bad. The little door fans work good as you want to blow cool air ( more dense, moves easier) toward the stove. I also run my geothermal fan if really want to move more air around. My main level is 1800 sq feet and I can cook us right out of there with dry wood. My ceilings are 10 feet. So just run my ceiling fan in reverse , I do have some small fans for the bedrooms but only run in really cold weather like -10 F.