Ceiling support box for my VC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmarch

Sep 19, 2023
Nj
Getting ready to put in my VC 1990 and have questions about the support box. I have the Duravent 6DP-CS11 box not installed yet and the Duravent triple wall that goes above that out the roof (pictures below). I would like to use 6" double wall pipe from the VC stove to the ceiling then the box accepts the triple wall already on the other side. It seems like the box will only accept single wall on the inside ceiling side. What am I missing here? Is there an adapter that I need? I do not have the double wall pipe ( only have a few pieces of Ameri-tech DCC and can't find anymore). I will probably go with double wall duravent. I am mainly using double wall for clearance purposes

20230924_122454.jpg 20230924_122448.jpg 20230924_122506.jpg 20230924_122525.jpg 20230923_115752.jpg 20230923_114457.jpg

DuraVent provides a couple of options.

Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 10.37.01 AM.png

DuraVent provides a couple of options.

It looks like that first one may be my option. It's hard to tell from the picture but looks like it will go into the ceiling box single wall and convert to double wall down to the stove correct? Any opinion on 6" double wall that won't break the bank? Also from what I read it looks like I need a different adaptor also on the VC 1990 to use double wall correct?

Both will work for double-wall DuraVent DVL stovepipe. The upper one will also work for single wall DuraBlack stovepipe.

I'm not sure if any adapter is needed to connect the stove. Some don't need it. It depends on the flue collar.

Both will work for double-wall DuraVent DVL stovepipe. The upper one will also work for single wall DuraBlack stovepipe.

I'm not sure if any adapter is needed to connect the stove. Some don't need it. It depends on the flue collar.
I wish they would show a picture of the top of it. So you say the top will fit into the single wall connection of the ceiling box? And your saying the bottom will fit single or double wall to the wood stove? It's confusing without a good picture especially for a part like an adapter

The support box receives the adapter. It is inserted into the support box hole and then is screwed to the box. This provides a starting flange for the stove pipe.

The support box receives the adapter. It is inserted into the support box hole and then is screwed to the box. This provides a starting flange for the stove pipe.
Begreen thanks again. What's your preference on double wall that won't break the bank?

Begreen sorry I haven't replied in a while but between work and gathering material for my wood stove it's been crazy! I have been building my base and wall behind. So far wall is coming out nice . The ceiling support box is in and just ordered the duravent double wall pipe for inside. I will post pictures soon just wanted to keep in touch . I never did ask if it's just preference or a must for using double or single wall inside? Thanks

Begreen sorry I haven't replied in a while but between work and gathering material for my wood stove it's been crazy! I have been building my base and wall behind. So far wall is coming out nice . The ceiling support box is in and just ordered the duravent double wall pipe for inside. I will post pictures soon just wanted to keep in touch . I never did ask if it's just preference or a must for using double or single wall inside? Thanks

Using double will will allow you closer clearances.. If your doing a free standing stove and if the stove has a heat shield your closer to the wall aka Combustibles.. you should read your manual its spelled out in there. Your ceiling support box location.. is based on your clearances to the stove and stovepipe

Woodsplitter67 I appreciate the response and I was aware of the clearance part of it but I was unsure of the heating aspect and moisture issue. Yes before i forget i installed my ceiling box knowing that i was going to use double wall because of clearance.I was wondering if by using double wall if the stack temp would not be high enough and create a issue? Or if there is any other reason to use double wall as a benefit besides clearance? Learning more and more everyday from you guys and hopefully I'll finally get this thing done and be able to enjoy it.

Woodsplitter67 I appreciate the response and I was aware of the clearance part of it but I was unsure of the heating aspect and moisture issue. Yes before i forget i installed my ceiling box knowing that i was going to use double wall because of clearance.I was wondering if by using double wall if the stack temp would not be high enough and create a issue? Or if there is any other reason to use double wall as a benefit besides clearance? Learning more and more everyday from you guys and hopefully I'll finally get this thing done and be able to enjoy it.

The advantage of double wall is keeping the stovepipe temperatures up.. There are a number of benefits.. like.. keeping draft up.. and the reduction of creosote if your keeping the stovepipe at a reasonable temperature.. were running down draft stoves.. its best to keep the draft up.. burn with the catalyst my friend..

The advantage of double wall is keeping the stovepipe temperatures up.. There are a number of benefits.. like.. keeping draft up.. and the reduction of creosote if your keeping the stovepipe at a reasonable temperature.. were running down draft stoves.. its best to keep the draft up.. burn with the catalyst my friend..
Exact response I was looking for woodsplitter67. Straight to the point! Thanks

What kind of thermometers can you use with double wall? Am I drilling a hole in it for a probe?

Im just using a cheap bimetal.. I have it on the adapter.. I just use mine to tell me when to engage the cat.. Its nothing I really monitor..

You shoud go digital probe for the cat thermometer

You should check out the temperature thread and the general discussion thread I started

You can checkout the rebuild thread I did.. good information there