Centrifugal splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
I went to a stove dealer yesterday and on the way out I noticed a different type of log splitter. I'm intrigued. Anyone know how a flywheel type splitter works? Someone at the stove place says it splits fast (which scares me). Thought I'd ask here first before I do some research. Looks simple and straightforward.

I haven't used one but I have spoken to someone who has. On straight wood they are very fast but if it hits a gnarly piece that is beyond it's limits the log gets stuck in the wedge or flies off the splitter.

I haven't used one but I have spoken to someone who has. On straight wood they are very fast but if it hits a gnarly piece that is beyond it's limits the log gets stuck in the wedge or flies off the splitter.
This ^^^

There are many videos of them... go to youtube and look around. I believe one brand is called the super-splitter if I remember right...

I went to a stove dealer yesterday and on the way out I noticed a different type of log splitter. I'm intrigued. Anyone know how a flywheel type splitter works? Someone at the stove place says it splits fast (which scares me). Thought I'd ask here first before I do some research. Looks simple and straightforward.

This is what would be called a super splitter.. they have been out for a while. Non hydrologic... kinetic splitter

gnarly piece that is beyond it's limits the log gets stuck in the wedge
I totally get it. That would be unfortunately a no go in my situation. I can see sailing through a bunch...then...10 minutes of struggling undoing a wacky piece...but also, I have become accustomed to my local rental place Timberwolf and a 4 way splitter...

This is called "the wheel of death" for a reason.

Do a search on here for Super Split. I own one and love it.

Made in Massachusetts. Are they cheap? Nope. Are they fast? Yup. Would I own any other splitter? Maybe but it would cost at least as much as a SS. DR makes a knock off and the Asians made some POS. SS has been around for a very long time and well respected.

I haven't found much it won't split and logs don't get stuck on the wedge any more than any hydro unit I've ever run but they were (for full disclosure) rentals.

Super Split, I will look into that! BadLP Do you have electric or gas powered?

Last edited:
Super Split, I will look into that! BadLP Do you have electric or gas powered?

I'm going to guess we have the same wood species of groan, maples and ash.

Both. :) Don't forget to get the work table!!!

I bought it with the Honda and it was quiet like any Honda motor is but it got old listening to it so I called the shop and ordered the 220 electric motor. I then went on line and bought 100 feet of 10/3 SO cord. 15 feet is wired directly to the SS with a twist lock. I have an outlet both inside my basement and in my wood storage area. The balance of the cord has the proper twist locks and gets the power to my wood shed. Yes I've split wood in the basement because I could. LOL

I kept the Honda and the pair of belts but very much doubt I'd ever put it back on. There's not much the electric SS wouldn't handle. I don't like gnarly wood because it stacks terrible so they go in a separate pile for the fire pit. My wood guy also knows I don't want the oh my God logs..

Super-Split is the gold standard for kinetic/flywheel splitters.

I don't have one (on my wish list), but enough users say that if a tough log doesn't split, just run the ram a second time.