Century CW2500x00i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
Had to edit this cause I found my old post (dec 10). There were more negatives than positives. The drolet can`t be had around here for less than $1250. That deal for $899 doesn`t include shipping on the drolet. And the face plate is an extra 100.

Still considering the century for $899 where I pickup only 25 klicks away. While our house is a quad-level. The room the insert sits in is 15x26 with 7.5ft ceiling. It isn`t difficult heating this room, it is a challenge getting the heat upstairs. Even with the doorway fan and ceiling fans helping to boost the air on its way. That century has a 1.9 cu.ft firebox and may help for the room to stay heated for 6hours or so after we go to bed. That in turn helps to keep the chill off in the upstairs,and the old boiler running even less.

My thinking is that whether it is a 900 or 3000 dollar insert the rec-room is going to be 75-80 and the upstairs in the 60`s. So a longer burn time than I am previously experiencing is the main benifit to be gained by swapping out my older insert. I have tried and tried but can`t seem to ascertain whether this century`s blower is heat activated?

Feeling kinda like an outcast here. Not one comment. Well, that just makes me more determined that I can make this little insert work. Not searching for a pot of gold here. Just trying to spend my retirement savings on something that might last a little while.

My own gut feeling is to go for it. Will post back this summer if I discover that I have made the right decision.

Yep, I already know that Wash and California dont allow it. No big deal, they want 4.5grams, and this little puppy puts out 4.9.

Big deal, just want something that might get close, close, to an overnite burn with softwood.

Do you remember what that Century weighs in at? It was posted in here somewnere, but I can't find it.
I used to have a Century stove, it worked well, but it was built light.
I think that you'll get more stove for only a but more money, if you went with the Drolet. Also check out the "Flame" brand of stoves. They are built like tanks (like the Drolets), and are usually fairly reasonable.

HOME HARDWARE SIDNEY

2356 BEACON AVENUE
SIDNEY
British Columbia, Canada
V8L 1X3

Tel.: (250) 656-2712
Fax: (250) 655-7052

If these guys aren't too far away from you, go see them about this insert:
http://www.flame-intl.com/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=457
http://www.flame-intl.com/find-dealer.aspx?Country=ca
2.3 cubic foot firebox, and weighs 380 lbs.

Or this one:
http://www.drolet.ca/product.aspx?CategoId=7&Id=428
1.8 cubic foot firebox, and weighs 350 lbs.
Sells here in Stonewall for $1179.98 including faceplate with trim.

Jimbob: my condolences for living in Canada`s coldest city :cheese:

If I can do anything to improve the heatiing situation in this house, it is going to come from my pension loot. That`s why I said I could pull this off with the Century by august. Quad level home, and the wife just gets reinforced everyday from her co-workers not to allow another wood insert on the 3rd level.

Listen carefull? Can you hear my head banging on the walls? Does no good..

Got to do something that I can afford, and that would be the cw2500x00i. 1.9 cu.ft fire box. Might give me a six hour burn. good enough.retired so can keep it going. 24/7..

Maybe I am wrong, or asking the wrong guy, cold where you live, but it seems to me that if ya can keep that heat constant, it does keep rising, and so instead of the low 60`a upstairs, might get to the high 60`s by burning 24/7 instead of 16/7?

And that little puppy for $900 bucks just might do the trick. . hmmm,.maybe even with softwood? Oh, yea, my rec-room is 15x26 but with only 7.5ft ceiling. so that is gonna be 75-80 no matter what I buy. Got the doorway fan going, and the diff ceiling fans going, but why spend tonnes of loot for something just to heat that little room and then try to get that upstiairs?

Jimbob: just don`t see the need nor can I justify buying something like that marvelous beast that you have.

I think if you can keep it from literally falling apart like my first Dutchwest model did you will be ok, I'm on my replacement model and have been burning 24/7 since late september, as you said, keep it burning and gradually the house will warm up and take less wood to keep it there as long as you keep it going. I'm on my 4th half ton pickup load of mixed (soft/hard) split wood and other than a lot of ash for the garden all's ok so far.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.