Chain & Bar Oil

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kruger

Oct 14, 2008
SE Wyoming
Does anyone brew their own oil? I'm been using a recipe from my dad for a couple years and wondering if anyone else is doing the same and how theirs differs.

Mine:

one part 80-90w gear oil
one and a half parts 10-30w motor oil
one and a half parts ATF

Heavier on the ATF on really cold days and lighter on the 80-90w

I use really cheap products and it comes out to be an awefully cheap gallon of bar oil.

Thoughts?

I use what I can get cheep and will also filter used oil. Atf by its self work very well but not cheep.

I like to wait for quarts and gallons to go on sale at places like Advanced Auto Parts or O'Reilly's and stock up. Sometimes you can find the house brand motor oils for $0.99 a quart and the house ATF's for $2.99/quart. 80-90 is cheap. Can sometimes make a gallon of bar oil for $5.00

Call me crazy, but I just buy the bar and chain oil, open the cap and pour it into the oil reservoir . . . not worth it to me to make my own stuff, filter old oil or experiment with an expensive saw on other replacement fluids.

You're Crazy!!!

Just kidding. I was just wondering what others might have done. It seems like I run through a TON of bar oil and was just looking to cut down on the cost. I'm only saving a few dollars a gallon.

Call me a tightwad!

I would say the mix he is using is very good! Used oil can be much cheepier, and thanks Lee for the tip my 880 and throw a quart very quick!

What do you strain your used motor oil through? Do you then run is straight or mix with another lubricant. I'd be worried about it making the chain/drive shaft filthy.

WYO said:
What do you strain your used motor oil through? Do you then run is straight or mix with another lubricant. I'd be worried about it making the chain/drive shaft filthy.

through old blue jeans Lee's been doing it for a long time! its 30 weight oil and I run it stright works well and the price is right.

Interesting. Does "how clean or how dirty" the oil is seem to matter? Do you like the consistancy? If you could change it, would you have it be thicker or thinner? Never thought of used oil...

WYO said:
Interesting. Does "how clean or how dirty" the oil is seem to matter? Do you like the consistancy? If you could change it, would you have it be thicker or thinner? Never thought of used oil...

Its clean after filtering it. No issues that I can see.

I take the three gallons I drain out of the Cummins and put it in the saw
its not on the bar or chain long enough to matter
and its free
been running it in both saws
seems fine

Going to try the jean filter tomorrow and see how it looks. Exciting stuff. Leave it to a sawman to get excited about filtering old engine oil...

WYO said:
Going to try the jean filter tomorrow and see how it looks. Exciting stuff. Leave it to a sawman to get excited about filtering old engine oil...

hey every dollar counts I made a gallon up last night double the jeans up it took awhile to get it filtered but that's a free gallon.

Regular bar oil is 30 weight oil but it has some sort of additive to make it sticky and stringy. 30 weight engine oil isn't stringy like that. I am most worried about the oil pump in the saw somehow not liking the missing additive and the additional dirt that makes used oil black.

In a pinch, you bet.

Highbeam said:
Regular bar oil is 30 weight oil but it has some sort of additive to make it sticky and stringy. 30 weight engine oil isn't stringy like that. I am most worried about the oil pump in the saw somehow not liking the missing additive and the additional dirt that makes used oil black.

In a pinch, you bet.

when you can shoot a gallon in 4-5 hrs its worth it and its also not black after filtering. Thought it wasnt a good idea when I first heard it but after trying it I cant tell any difference's.

WYO, you can 'SOMETIMES make a gallon of bar oil for $5.00'? Are you kidding me? To save $1. (max?). Listen, I'm all for saving money, but that's just ridiculous. I'd have to go through 10 gallons a day to make that worth it (at least pay for lunch!!!).

S

thinkxingu said:
WYO, you can 'SOMETIMES make a gallon of bar oil for $5.00'? Are you kidding me? To save $1. (max?). Listen, I'm all for saving money, but that's just ridiculous. I'd have to go through 10 gallons a day to make that worth it (at least pay for lunch!!!).

S

the mix he is talking about isnt to save money sounds like a loggers mix to me but when he finds everything on save it cost him about 5 buck a gallon.

thinkxingu said:

S

Wow!
This coming from a guy who thinx saving 8 oz. on the weight of a saw is a LOT.

thinkxingu said:

S

No crazier than dropping, bucking, hauling and splitting trees to save a few bucks on heat. :lol:

Lee, how you comparing weight and money?! Besides, car manufacturers, tool companies, sporting gear companies, etc. all spend tons of money trying to save weight. It's the reason carbon fiber, titanium, and other lightweight materials were invented--why wouldn't I take advantage of the technology?!

S

Oh, and Bart--I save $300 plus the price of electric heat for each cord I cut, split, and stack--that's a whole lot more than $1!

S

How in the world can you change a bar oil thread this? WOW sure dont know how I will carry the extra weight.

thinkxingu said:

S
I can think of better places to save a buck. How much B&C oil does the average wood burner go through anyway just cutting for personal use? I don't use a gallon of oil a year. I ain't cutting up no old jeans for that. Sheesh.

Donate the jeans to goodwill.

I pour my used oil onto my brush pile and burn it.

thinkxingu said:
Oh, and Bart--I save $300 plus the price of electric heat for each cord I cut, split, and stack--that's a whole lot more than $1!

S

Eye bet U dohnt slip $300 into the G when you wisit the gents club though! Dew U?
Stick wit the buck and dohnt walk past Penny in parking lot!~ ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.