Chain question for a beginner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Supersurvey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 25, 2015
New Jersey
Sorry for such a simple question but I only cut a cord or so every year. I have a Craftsman 18 inch gas chainsaw.

Question will any 18 inch chain fit any brand bar? Also when replacing the bar will any 18 inch bar work?

Thanks

No and no. Give the model number and year, can then try to find out who made it, and what's compatible.

Reactions: TreePointer
Thanks everyone. I'll get a picture and report back. I know its not the best saw but it was a gift. Still on the original bar and chain after about 8-10 cords. Its used more for cutting down logs to long to fit in HI200. Not full time cutting.

Alternate method:

Remove the bar from your saw, and tell us (or post a picture of) the information stamped on your bar.

Attached is a picture of the bar. Its stamped 18 91-62 7T. Any help finding a replacement is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190209_150028.jpg
    20190209_150028.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 136
Does your chain have the number 91 on it? My best guess on what you have would be Oregon 91 chain which is 3/8 pitch and .050 gauge. Count your drive teeth (inside teeth) my guess is 62 drive lengths. If correct you need Oregon (or equivalent) 91 chain - 62 drive lengths. Any saw shop could make you one, just bring in your old chain. Online would be Baileys or Logger Chain. Hope this helps.

18 91 62 7T

18" bar
91 = Oregon code for 3/8LP pitch, .050 gauge
62 = chain compatible with that bar has 62 drive links (DL)
7T = 7 tooth sprocket

NOTE: 3/8LP pitch is not the same as 3/8 pitch

Regardless of chain brand, a replacement chain for that bar will have the following characteristics
3/8LP pitch, .050 gauge, 62DL.

Replacement 18" bar will have the following characteristics:
3/8LP pitch, .050 gauge, 62DL, bar mount pattern that fits your saw.
A shorter bar will use require a chain with fewer DL>

How do you know which bar mount pattern fits your bar? The bar will be listed as being compatible with your saw's model number.

http://www.oregonproducts.eu/en/parts-lookup/chain-bar-sprocket-selector-guideold.html
https://www.baileysonline.com/selectors/chainsaw-bar-selector.html

You also can buy them together:
S62 18 in. Combo Chainsaw Bar and Chain
(Look for your chainsaw model number on back of packaging.)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the expert advise.