Chainsaw came back beat up.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MNBobcat

Sep 6, 2009
Minnesota
I bought a new Dolmar 6100 It will be a year old in April of 2018. I've had it in to the dealer 3 or 4 times because of issues with it not running right. The last time, they sent it to the Dolmar/Makita factory shop. All the Makita did was adjust the carb which of course means they didn't fix anything. The problem only shows up when it's really cold out.

Anyway, this saw has never been set on a hard surface. When I put oil and fuel in it, I lay it on a towel. I normally don't treat a saw that gently but I wanted to keep this one in nice shape and it's still pretty new. It doesn't go anywhere. I keep it in my shop and I walk outside and cut wood and it goes back in the shop and when I set it down it sets on a dirt floor with the chain resting up so that it's out of the dirt.

When I've hauled it to the dealer, it goes inside of a plastic bag and then I put it in a cardboard box.

This is what it looked like when I got it back today.

All that missing paint is brand new. Wasn't like that when I dropped it off. Also, the chain guide is dinged up and has a tear in it.

Should I rake the dealer over the coals and demand a new saw or am I being too critical?

They've tried to be decent to work with in getting this saw fixed but I'm not happy that my new saw is looking like this already.

IMG_2464.jpg
<br> <br>
IMG_2463.jpg
<br>

Yes you should rake the dealer over the coals. If that damage is new, someone was using the saw and probably didnt know what they were doing as that damage to the aluminum tab means someone didnt tighten the chain and it came off the bar while running. (Ask me why I know what that damage looks like ;) )

If you have pictures that will help before you tear a strip off the dealer.

If that were to actually happen to me, I wouldn't be on a forum discussing it. The problem would already be resolved. Running a chainsaw at extreme temps might require a little tuning to get an agreeable mixture to the cylinder. The internet is ripe with how to's for chainsaw tuning.

Honestly, from viewing the attached photos, it looks to me like it has had some rough use over time. Or maybe you don't baby it as much as you think. My theory with all mechanical equipment is self maintenance and service. There are business owners that we have a mutual respect and I would trust them to do service, but still I do my own.

Chainsaw01.jpg

Yeah - that thing had a chain let loose on it. I can show you the exact same damage on a MS361.;em
Yes, and that stop/gard probably requires replacement since it has been bent backward and stressed. I know I am not as experienced as others on this forum, but all of the chains I have seen that jumped the bar and bent the gard like that were stiffened/ bent and required a new chain afterwards.

Ask for a new saw .

You did realize that you flip the plastic air intake for cold and warm weather on that saw? Not sure if that would be the problem but it definitely states in your manual to do so. I hope the dealer helped you out with the damage that was done to your saw. I have the same saw and it works awesome. Great value in these saws.