Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
Thistle said:
zapny said:
smokin/thistle, on the carlton A1 3/8 0.050 is that a 10 percent angle?

zap

Dont know about Carlton. My ripping chains are Oregon 75JGX 0.63 gauge skip.Ground to 10 or 15 degrees. I imagine the specs would be the same though.

Question on the ez rails, I'm using the nine footers so should I leave overhang at both ends or just one end when milling. This will determine the length of the log.

zap

both when you can makes it easier to start and take off.

zapny said:
Thistle said:
zapny said:
smokin/thistle, on the carlton A1 3/8 0.050 is that a 10 percent angle?

zap

Dont know about Carlton. My ripping chains are Oregon 75JGX 0.63 gauge skip.Ground to 10 or 15 degrees. I imagine the specs would be the same though.

I think if I'm reading the chart (just found it) it's 10 percent.

http://www.sawchain.com/images/2008-2009 Intl Catalog/SawChainTypes.pdf

zap

10 degrees is where you want to cut the chaINS. If your modd. one let me know?

With logs like that you should not have to by any lumber........I would start stock piling 4 and 6 inch thick slabs. Now you can still make siding out of it later, but you get a couple 1000bf of cants stock up you would then be ready to launch any project you could dream up.[/quote]

First question, when stickering wood is wind or sun more important.....Second question, if we sticker the cants and paint the ends then mill them up in the spring how much longer will it take to dry?

gibir

zapny said:
With logs like that you should not have to by any lumber........I would start stock piling 4 and 6 inch thick slabs. Now you can still make siding out of it later, but you get a couple 1000bf of cants stock up you would then be ready to launch any project you could dream up.

First question, when stickering wood is wind or sun more important.....Second question, if we sticker the cants and paint the ends then mill them up in the spring how much longer will it take to dry?

gibir[/quote]

Softwoods can be used right out of the box. I would sticker them and ractet strap as a nice bundle. Cants I would sticker .(Nice and tight) Once you get it down to lumbar I wouldnt sticker at all just a nice tight bundles. Was typing early on the phone lol hope thats better! :cheese:

WHO WAS WANTING A COPY? Think I can compress it now have a new computer. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.