Chainsaw purchase - looking at MS261

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jparker

Oct 17, 2019
PNW
Can anyone recommend a good chainsaw that will be used for harvesting 2-3 cords a year along with maintaining five acres? I don’t have a specific budget in mind but I don’t want to over or under buy.

I have been looking at the MS261. It seems to be a well regarded chainsaw at a pretty good price point. Any pros/cons I should be aware of? What other chainsaws should I be looking at?

I will be going to several dealerships this week but want to educate myself prior.

As a somewhat biased owner of an MS261, get one. I just tackled a 20" red oak and it's such a pleasure to use.

Huge fan of the MS261....great saw, even better if you advance timing, delete base gasket and open up muffler a little. I used to run mine with a 16" bar, it always put a smile on my face.

If you are felling trees or cutting up lots of logs over 16" dia go bigger, say the 441 or 461. (I'm assuming you are cutting hardwood, if softwood, add 2" to 4" to my numbers)

Honestly, a 50cc and 70cc saw combo will cover almost all your needs save some monster trees and milling ect.

If $$ is a constraint, a good used pro saw is a good investment.

In the same class is the Husqvarna 550XP, also a great 50cc saw.

You can't go better than that saw for an all around firewood and property maintenance saw, in my opinion. Get one and don't look back!

You can't go better than that saw for an all around firewood and property maintenance saw, in my opinion. Get one and don't look back!
In my biased opinion, this is worth repeating. Very happy with it so far. Lite, easy to handle, good power, mid range size, easy to work on, . . .

I'm a 20 year, 2 coad a year, 260 pro owner. My only saw. From what I've heard it's one of the most respected saws for it's size. Mine has been flawless. Use Stihl starting method, 2-3 pulls, ever time. I don't know all the differences in the pro version. The decompression valve makes the pull effortless. I'm using 18" bar. Good size for me. Have done some 24" rounds. Just use razor sharp chains. Probably pricey, but I think long term it will pay you back.

If I didn't have a need for more than an18-20 inch bar, that would be the saw of my choice. The weight to power ratio is very respectable and it's a pro series saw. Just one dudes opinion.
For the record I process 5 plus cords per year.

I have a 261, love it. I have a 362 also and I end up grabbing that all the time. A little bigger, 3/8th pitch. Screams with a 20” all day long.

I prefer the 362 as an all around saw.

Reactions: Larry in OK
I struggled with choosing a 50cc saw and I like my Echo 501P. The 490 is similar, but to a lower price point. Pros for me were the old school carb I can fix in 5 minutes if I need to, and the compact size / light weight. The only slight con is the somewhat pricey air filter, that I'm also not in love with.
Sticking with an autotuned saw might be a consideration if you change altitude a lot. I don't and prefer to skip the complexity.
2-3 cords isn't a lot of cutting, so it's probably more important to look after the saw in the off season, than to worry about what's going to wear out from use on any "decent" (not $109) saw.

I bought a MS362 a couple of years ago. It rips. I run either a 20” or 25” bar on it. I find it runs a whole lot better on rec gas and even better on VP pre mix gas.

I struggled with choosing a 50cc saw and I like my Echo 501P. The 490 is similar, but to a lower price point. Pros for me were the old school carb I can fix in 5 minutes if I need to, and the compact size / light weight. The only slight con is the somewhat pricey air filter, that I'm also not in love with.
Sticking with an autotuned saw might be a consideration if you change altitude a lot. I don't and prefer to skip the complexity.
2-3 cords isn't a lot of cutting, so it's probably more important to look after the saw in the off season, than to worry about what's going to wear out from use on any "decent" (not $109) saw.
I nearly bought a 501p, however most Echo dealers are open 8-5 and I was going to do a bunch of cutting the next day and my husq 240 was pretty much dead. Ace hardware was open until 8pm. I run 0% ethanol gas so I hope that none of my carbs, mtronic or not, should last a long time. 7+ years since owning some small engines and I've never had to touch a carb.

I nearly bought a 501p, however most Echo dealers are open 8-5 and I was going to do a bunch of cutting the next day and my husq 240 was pretty much dead. Ace hardware was open until 8pm. I run 0% ethanol gas so I hope that none of my carbs, mtronic or not, should last a long time. 7+ years since owning some small engines and I've never had to touch a carb.
Ethanol seems to create so many problems for the small engine world. I’ve been running rec gas in everything from my mower to my whips and blowers and splitter. Everything is running way better just from switching from regular pump gas.

The gas station I go to has a rec gas pump right next to the diesel pumps so it’s very convenient for me. It’s pricey at $4.25 a gallon but well worth it me. Beats working on saws and waiting for equipment to get fixed at the shop.

Ah I see, I haven’t seen that abbreviation before. I get non ethanol fuel from an airfield nearby. I’ll have to research rec gas