Chainsawing In Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Remove the air filter box, flip it over and look at the front end (facing the bar). There should be hole in the box with a small plastic cap that is pivoted so it can be swung into and out of the hole. Pretty simple.

love cutting in the winter as long as we aren't buried in snow. Gets me out of the house and the cold air keeps me feeling tough. Call me crazy but I'm convinced my saw runs better in the winter. Never had any stalling issues until I was running it hard in the summer.

Reactions: Ashful
I use the winter mix bar oil from Tractor supply ..or I did .. I wonder if they still have it after there new saw upgrading..;hm

Ditto. The regular grade bar oil may eventually warm up, and run just the same, but winter grade pours more easily in the cold. It also doesn’t leave you running a dry bar for ten minutes, while you wait for the saw to heat up the oil reservoir.

I really don’t understand the aversion to winter weight oil, it’s not like it costs any more or less than regular weight. I have two bottles on the shelf, and grab the winter weight when it’s cold (eg. < 20F), or the regular weight when it’s warmer. Pretty simple.

Last edited:
Recommendations When Using an Electric Chainsaw in Wet Conditions
A wet chainsaw will commonly get wasteful, also the danger of rusted edges. Likewise, there is an opportunity of slippage when holding the machine, which can prompt some heartbreaking mishaps. Water and power have never been known to be exceptionally high together. When water gets inside your electric engine, the likelihood of your device breaking down or neglecting to work through and through will be exceptionally high.
1. Beware of Slippery Cutting Conditions
2. Use Protective Equipment
3. Use the Right Chain Type
4. Be Cautious of Debris Stuck to the Tree

Most electric chain saws produce more torque than chaps can safely handle.

Welcome to the forum, akhilaggarwal. I believe you are our first member from Bangalore.

Old timer next door told me that he use to use cooking oil as bar oil in the winter, way thinner stuff and cheap, wessen I think was the brand he would use.

Old timer next door told me that he use to use cooking oil as bar oil in the winter, way thinner stuff and cheap, wessen I think was the brand he would use.
If you scroll back thru this thread, you’ll see I used to buy winter weight, and didn’t see any reason to do otherwise, it costs the same as regular weight, at least when buying the same brand. The only rub here is that many cheaper brands aren’t stocked in winter weight, at least not in the southern 48.

Then someone pointed out, either in this thread or another, that you could just make your own winter weight by adding a bit of diesel to standard weight. I suspect many of us have poured enough standard weight in spring or fall to know what the ideal viscosity looks like when pouring, and I just aim to get to that when adulterating my standard weight with diesel, now.

I still keep my blue Stihl winter weight bottle, but today it’s filled with a bit of standard weight plus diesel. I add a bit of either ingredient as needed, to adjust the viscosity for the weather I’m in, whether it’s 25F or single-digits. Anytime it’s above freezing, I just switch back to regular weight.

If trying this, start with a quarter gallon of bar oil and just add an ounce of diesel, shake and pour. Sneak up on the amount required, and fine-tune by adding a bit of bar oil, when you overshoot the ratio. It only takes a small amount of diesel to thin a lot of bar oil.

Recommendations When Using an Electric Chainsaw in Wet Conditions
A wet chainsaw will commonly get wasteful, also the danger of rusted edges. Likewise, there is an opportunity of slippage when holding the machine, which can prompt some heartbreaking mishaps. Water and power have never been known to be exceptionally high together. When water gets inside your electric engine, the likelihood of your device breaking down or neglecting to work through and through will be exceptionally high.
1. Beware of Slippery Cutting Conditions
2. Use Protective Equipment
3. Use the Right Chain Type
4. Be Cautious of Debris Stuck to the Tree
I was surfing net and found this article for Using An Electric Chainsaw In The Rain
Check it out.

I go with whatever is cheapest, usually it is Wesson.

I go with whatever is cheapest, usually it is Wesson.
You could add bio diesel in the winter if you get any cold weather.

You could add bio diesel in the winter if you get any cold weather.
I have a gallon of regular B&C oil if I ever need it, but so far vegetable/canola oil has been fantastic. Even when it was 0 df outside the canola oil flowed just fine. I don't like cutting in hot weather or when it's single digits or less, so I doubt I'll have any issues long term using organic oils.