Changed a few door gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
FYI for the guys that haven't done door gaskets.
I needed to change the ash pan door gasket on my Jotul Oslo. It was very compressed and loose cement in a few areas. I had changed this, maybe 7 years ago using that hard stove gasket cement. A year after that I did the side door gasket using Permatex Ultra Copper RTV. So to see how well the RTV held up, I pulled the door gasket out. The RTV stayed flexible and well connected to the gasket and the door. It was easy to scrape out the RTV from the door groove. IMO much better than the stove gasket cement.

Has anyone else switched to RTV? What do you think?

That's good to hear. I switched last year. It will be several years (I hope) before I have to do the next door gasket replacement.

Not RTV, but use silicone here, and never going back.

Not RTV, but use silicone here, and never going back.

RTV is silicone. The stuff I used is from an auto parts store. Gasket making material rated at 700 degrees.

I used a ton of the ultra copper rtv. I am very happy with the filling and stiction. Also very happy to hear it's easy to remove when it's time to replace the gasket. Door gaskets are especially important on bk cat stoves.

RTV is silicone. The stuff I used is from an auto parts store. Gasket making material rated at 700 degrees.
Yes, I know.
I used window & door clear silicone last time, and it held up fine.

Last edited: