Cazier Posted By Cazier, Oct 9, 2018 at 6:37 AM

1. Cazier

Cazier
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Dec 21, 2017
    Loc:
    Star Valley, Wy
    Hi everyone I wanted to get your opinons on changing a rear vent stove to a top vent. I just bought an old fisher that is a rear vent and it would work better if it was a top vent. Has anyone been successful welding the original vent shut or does the weld constantly break and is it always an issue. I know a good machinist/welder but I don't want to proceed if its going to be impossible to seal up the original vent hole. Thanks

2. DAKSY

DAKSY
    Patriot Guard Rider Moderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    If you look at Jotul stoves, such as the 3CB, when changing from rear to top, the hole is not welded shut.
    There is a replacement "plug" that fits into the opening, is sealed with a gasket & is held in place with a bracket.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    I would just sell that stove and find a top vent stove. To me its just an old fisher not worth the effort to switch the vent. You should be able to find something comperable with a top vent for a couple hundred bucks or so. Same as what your stove is worth.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jan Pijpelink likes this.