charity wood

mar13

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
For those who don't have their own source of wood, I thought I'd raise the idea of looking into wood sold for fund raising. Recently I've learned of some local student clubs that raise money selling cords of wood as well as a local forest reserve (from incidental cuts). It takes the worry about whether or not you're getting a great deal on the wood as at least the money is going to a good cause. I'll give some of them a try and perhaps continue as long as the wood is of decent burning quality. I think the hard part for many wood buyers is actually finding these groups as it seems to be more word of mouth.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
Yeah, great idea! :cool:
I'll give some of them a try and perhaps continue as long as the wood is of decent burning quality.
Are you talking about the species they get, weather it's got some punk, how dry it is, or what?
Have you talked to anyone associated with the students, to find out where they get the wood? National Forest or other public land maybe?
I guess you have a lot of Pine there, maybe dead and dry?

happycamper

Mar 14, 2013
burning pine wood is asking for truble to much chresote and sap
\asking for a chminey fire or worse your house could burn down

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Not even remotely true

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
If you’re skeptical, burn some dry pine for a few week as you would hardwood. Check chimney for buildup. See for yourself .

Socratic Monologue

Burning Hunk
Dec 2, 2009
WI
A few years ago, I thought I found a USFS study on creosote formation from burning different species; I can't find it now.

Here are a few studies I did find, though, that are interesting. The first two seem to be unavailable electronically, though they are held in print version at many academic libraries. Even the abstracts, though, confirm that pine actually produces less creosote buildup than other species.

www.gatrees.org/resources/publications/research-papers/GFRP25.pdf

Reactions: SpaceBus

Manly

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2017
CT
Not even remotely true
That’s got to be the original fake news story. I get people telling me all the time “don’t burn pine, you’ll burn your house down.” So I always ask, “do you burn a lot of pine?” ”Uh, duh, I don’t burn wood”. Ok, thanks for the expert opinion. Dried pine is great fuel when it’s the only thing available and free.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
A few years ago, I thought I found a USFS study on creosote formation from burning different species; I can't find it now.

Here are a few studies I did find, though, that are interesting. The first two seem to be unavailable electronically, though they are held in print version at many academic libraries. Even the abstracts, though, confirm that pine actually produces less creosote buildup than other species.

www.gatrees.org/resources/publications/research-papers/GFRP25.pdf
I've always assumed this to be true since the sap is basically a liquid fuel.

mar13

Feeling the Heat
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
The students' forestry club sells alder. The local forest reserve does alder, spruce, and fir - $100 split and delivered per cord (low expectations at this price). I'll give them a try. If it's not the best wood and a disappointment, I won't do it again and just consider the lost money a (non-deductible) donation.

Regarding the old don't burn pine debate, one article's abstract states one idea where the effect's magnitude probably far out weighs any experimental variation: "...up to 48 times more creosote was observed with a smoldering fire than a brightly burning fire. "