charity wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mar13

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2018
California redwood coast
For those who don't have their own source of wood, I thought I'd raise the idea of looking into wood sold for fund raising. Recently I've learned of some local student clubs that raise money selling cords of wood as well as a local forest reserve (from incidental cuts). It takes the worry about whether or not you're getting a great deal on the wood as at least the money is going to a good cause. I'll give some of them a try and perhaps continue as long as the wood is of decent burning quality. I think the hard part for many wood buyers is actually finding these groups as it seems to be more word of mouth.

Yeah, great idea! :cool:
I'll give some of them a try and perhaps continue as long as the wood is of decent burning quality.
Are you talking about the species they get, weather it's got some punk, how dry it is, or what?
Have you talked to anyone associated with the students, to find out where they get the wood? National Forest or other public land maybe?
I guess you have a lot of Pine there, maybe dead and dry?

burning pine wood is asking for truble to much chresote and sap
\asking for a chminey fire or worse your house could burn down

Not even remotely true

Old wives' tale. Pine if dry burns like any other softwood

If you’re skeptical, burn some dry pine for a few week as you would hardwood. Check chimney for buildup. See for yourself .

A few years ago, I thought I found a USFS study on creosote formation from burning different species; I can't find it now.

Here are a few studies I did find, though, that are interesting. The first two seem to be unavailable electronically, though they are held in print version at many academic libraries. Even the abstracts, though, confirm that pine actually produces less creosote buildup than other species.

www.gatrees.org/resources/publications/research-papers/GFRP25.pdf

Reactions: SpaceBus
Not even remotely true
That’s got to be the original fake news story. I get people telling me all the time “don’t burn pine, you’ll burn your house down.” So I always ask, “do you burn a lot of pine?” ”Uh, duh, I don’t burn wood”. Ok, thanks for the expert opinion. Dried pine is great fuel when it’s the only thing available and free.

A few years ago, I thought I found a USFS study on creosote formation from burning different species; I can't find it now.

Here are a few studies I did find, though, that are interesting. The first two seem to be unavailable electronically, though they are held in print version at many academic libraries. Even the abstracts, though, confirm that pine actually produces less creosote buildup than other species.

www.gatrees.org/resources/publications/research-papers/GFRP25.pdf
I've always assumed this to be true since the sap is basically a liquid fuel.

9f0298afd16d716035811afc51ace164.jpg

The students' forestry club sells alder. The local forest reserve does alder, spruce, and fir - $100 split and delivered per cord (low expectations at this price). I'll give them a try. If it's not the best wood and a disappointment, I won't do it again and just consider the lost money a (non-deductible) donation.

Regarding the old don't burn pine debate, one article's abstract states one idea where the effect's magnitude probably far out weighs any experimental variation: "...up to 48 times more creosote was observed with a smoldering fire than a brightly burning fire. "