Check Point at state line

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just let them search. I'd never be breaking the law on purpose and would be glad to know if I was breaking the law unaware.

The prices of firewood at the campgrounds equal somewhere around a couple of thousand dollars a cord

Outside the local grocery stores, some box stores, I see onion skin bags with 4 or 5 splits selling right now for just shy of $10 / bag. Kinda looks like 1 bag = approx 1 sq ft, which is @ $1,280 / cord. Probably aimed at the folks with a fireplace who might grab a couple on a whim, just to light a fire for ambiance, etc. after supper. But just makes me cringe a bit. Makes it pretty tempting to bring your own if you're doing a camp fire, vs. that kind of $.

I recall in some of the "manned" provincial parks around here the park rangers would often cut a bunch of "stuff" (poplar, jack pine, mountain ash, etc. - whatever was cleared in their Spring opening, occasional blow downs, stuff from public wood lots, etc.) and keep a small wood lot for campers to go and grab their firewood for the night. Kept the student workers busy, not a bad idea - just help yourself. We'd joke about the guys in the park hoarding back a wagon load of the "nice looking" stuff (big squeaky clean green poplar rounds) with big smiles over this great score, leaving behind those awful looking dirty grey uglies for us. Supper cooking over a nice bed of h/w coals while the poplar fire building exercise across the way smolders on. Meanwhile, in the more remote parks, or out on crown land, we never had to go far to gather enough gopher wood for a decent camp fire. Lucky that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.