checking out a house's electrical system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The AC compressor is probably on the load control device. It looks much older than what Duke installs now. Hence the 15 min time out not wanting to turn the compressor on and off and on. Quickly. Just a guess one 60 amp may be resistive heating strips for the AUX / emergency heat. Are there natural gas or propane appliances?
Yeah, makes sense. Let me trace the wire ...

The AC compressor is probably on the load control device. It looks much older than what Duke installs now. Hence the 15 min time out not wanting to turn the compressor on and off and on. Quickly. Just a guess one 60 amp may be resistive heating strips for the AUX / emergency heat. Are there natural gas or propane appliances?
What's there now is a "gaspack" - natural gas furnace with AC unit, and like I said min/max ampacity is 20/25A. But I think seller replaced it recently, so maybe heatstrips before that.

from what i see the 100 amp should be tied into the bottom of the meter and that is your main breaker. the rest should be feed through the back feed 100.
Nope, the meter feeds busbars that all five of those 2-pole breakers feed off of.

the two 60 amp might be separate sub panels or one might be the air conditioning. nothing has to be changed to a arc fault or gfi breaker. even if you change the box it will still be hooked up the same way. the only one that knows why main panels neutral and ground are bonded together is incase you lose a neutral it can run on the ground. any other panel is considered a sub panel and neutral and grounds are isolated. if one of those 60 amp breakers are a sub panel then the wire that feeds the sub panel will need to be 4 wire one being a ground. if the other 60 amp breaker is a out building the if upgraded the sub panel in the out building will need a ground rod. anything that is there now is grandfathered in and nothing needs to be changed. the only 240 volt appliance that need a 4 wire is a sub panel and new stove circuits and new dryer circuit. the other thing i see that is wrong is the piping from underground or elsewhere up against masonry should not be pvc pipe but steel
Pretty sure PVC is allowed here, but probably supposed to be Schedule 80.

I need to check again, see if wire from main to sub-panel is 4-wire. I have a feeling it's not. Don't thinkk there are separate ground and neutral busbars in that subpanel.

As a one time NEC Code instructor, and contributor to the Code, I can assure you that there is nothing in your photos or description (save for misinterpretations) that is of concern. This is not a new installation - I'm guessing it was originally installed in the early 1970's. Old is not necessarily bad, nor is old illegal. If old was illegal or bad, my age would place me in deep trouble.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Don't be poking around, tugging on wires, or otherwise placing yourself or the seasoned equipment in jeopardy.

Beware if hiring a "licensed electrician". They will often have other fish to fry (at the home owner's expense). These days about all it takes to become licensed is the application fee and a signature of another fellow that has done similar due diligence.

As a one time NEC Code instructor, and contributor to the Code, I can assure you that there is nothing in your photos or description (save for misinterpretations) that is of concern. This is not a new installation - I'm guessing it was originally installed in the early 1970's.
Well, I think that bad cover on the combined meter & main panel box is an issue. But it could probably be fixed without replacing the box.

What about not having separate neutral and ground in the sub-panel that has all the 120v circuits ? I thought that was a big no-no.

Beware if hiring a "licensed electrician". They will often have other fish to fry (at the home owner's expense).
Understood. Probably don't want to ask a "licensed electrician" to fix the cover on that outdoor box. Just figure out how to do it myself.

Beware if hiring a "licensed electrician". They will often have other fish to fry (at the home owner's expense). These days about all it takes to become licensed is the application fee and a signature of another fellow that has done similar due diligence.
and what about the 5 years of work time and the 5 years of night school requirement to get your journeyman license?

i used to take my 21 hour code update with a guy who would be turning in his grave if he heard this about licensed electrician ( Joe Ross )

Well, I think that bad cover on the combined meter & main panel box is an issue. But it could probably be fixed without replacing the box.

What about not having separate neutral and ground in the sub-panel that has all the 120v circuits ? I thought that was a big no-no.

Understood. Probably don't want to ask a "licensed electrician" to fix the cover on that outdoor box. Just figure out how to do it myself.
Well, Rusty, it seems you have met all the current requirements to be a licensed electrical contractor.

Go for it.

Well, Rusty, it seems you have met all the current requirements to be a licensed electrical contractor.

Go for it.

I actually just called a "licensed electrical contractor", texted her the picture of the coverless box, and she said "it'd be silly to replace the box, I'm sure we can figure out how to get the cover back on securely". So some of the cynicism about "make work" was misplaced, although given they won't come till a month from now, it's not like they need extra work. She thought the reason the top of the cover wouldn't go onto the meter properly is that the cover is actually supposed to kinda fit behind the meter; though come to think of it, not sure that makes sense, because it means anyone could just grab the meter and pull it off.

I'm gonna punt on the issue of whether the subpanel has separate ground and neutral. If it ain't broke ...

Last edited:
just took a second and third look at that setup. that little cover goes over the breakers and there should be a cover for the whole thing and that cover will fit around the meter with a seal from the power company. with that cover on the meter can't be pulled out. if the power company finds that seal cut they will put on a lock so that they have to come out and unlock it if that stuff meaning the circuit breakers are open to the weather than all those breakers are junk per national electrical code. if there is no cover to be found then the meter/breaker combo box has to be replaced. if the town electrical inspector finds out there is no cover he could have the power company shut down that service until it is rectified. in short replace it. the wires that feed the meter look like 200 amp

just took a second and third look at that setup. that little cover goes over the breakers and there should be a cover for the whole thing and that cover will fit around the meter with a seal from the power company. with that cover on the meter can't be pulled out. if the power company finds that seal cut they will put on a lock so that they have to come out and unlock it if that stuff meaning the circuit breakers are open to the weather than all those breakers are junk per national electrical code. if there is no cover to be found then the meter/breaker combo box has to be replaced. if the town electrical inspector finds out there is no cover he could have the power company shut down that service until it is rectified. in short replace it. the wires that feed the meter look like 200 amp
Yes, that little cover goes over the breakers and fits on just fine - I just had it removed to be looking at the breaker wiring when the photo was taken.

There is a two-part cover that goes over the whole thing, as you said; it exists, but not shown in my photos, and it is the one that is messed up and won't fit back on properly. But it is (and has been) on there, so I don't feel the breakers have really been exposed. Like I said, they think the upper part is supposed to go on behind the meter, and that's why it won't fit on properly.

Yeah, 200amp I think, the hot leads are 2/0 guage; that's what most of the houses around here are.

can you show me some pictures of the cover? most covers go over the meter and have a screw/with a hole for a seal by the power company. if the cover has a lip that sticks out towards you then the cover goes on first then the meter and a aluminum ring that goes around the lip and the meter and with a seal locks the meter in place.

can you show me some pictures of the cover? most covers go over the meter and have a screw/with a hole for a seal by the power company. if the cover has a lip that sticks out towards you then the cover goes on first then the meter and a aluminum ring that goes around the lip and the meter and with a seal locks the meter in place.
Don't have pic and access right now. But yeah, I believe it has a lip that sticks outwards; but I think that ring is missing. Looked at Milbank website and they appear to still manufacture these boxes. I believe it's one of these: https://milbankworks.com/products/metering/u5168

Make sure the panel is not a Federal Pacific, they have known issues.
So, today I checked out another house - the one my other stepson is buying. And what do you know, it has a Federal Pacific panel. Mounted outside directly against a brick facade. Looked real clean though (better than the OP one). What are the known issues ?

A little research suggests that it's breakers, that fail to trip properly, that is the issue - not the panel itself. So I guess the issue is whether it's possible to source good breakers to replace these.

Last edited:
So, today I checked out another house - the one my other stepson is buying. And what do you know, it has a Federal Pacific panel. Mounted outside directly against a brick facade. Looked real clean though (better than the OP one). What are the known issues ?

A little research suggests that it's breakers, that fail to trip properly, that is the issue - not the panel itself. So I guess the issue is whether it's possible to source good breakers to replace these.

man that guy is looooong winded
Yep. I have generally found him to be informative and we’ll versed in his trade. In case you missed the link to his other video.

One of the houses I grew up in was in a large development that had FP panels in about half the development. No fires but several near misses. It was option early on when folks specified their homes. We had the old fashioned fuse panels with the one way bushings to limit the fuse size. A PITA to upgrade a circuit.

Last edited:
So it looks like maybe one can imply purchase replacement breakers - that fit the panels but are not faulty - and fix the problem that way.

I think code wise you would need to upgrade to arc fault breakers.

So it looks like maybe one can imply purchase replacement breakers - that fit the panels but are not faulty - and fix the problem that way.
200 amp service?

in mass (and we work from the national electrical code book) the only time someone has to install a arc fault breaker in place of a older breaker is if the circuit was added on to. meaning a existing circuit that has been there for say kitchen lighting is a regular circuit breaker, as is that is fine. you don't have to change breakers because you changed out the panel, but if you add another light onto the existing lights the circuit breaker has to be upgraded to a arc fault type circuit breaker. or anything new has to be arc fault. the new arc fault circuit breakers are better than the first generation of them but sometimes they trip for no apparent reason, that's why most of us electricians hate using them. and now lets get to the cost. if you have 10 regular circuit breakers to replace that totals roughly 60 dollars. if they are arc fault type the total is 490 dollars

in mass (and we work from the national electrical code book) the only time someone has to install a arc fault breaker in place of a older breaker is if the circuit was added on to.
Yes, here too, where I'm thinking of upgrading to 225amp and replacing the panel, the AHJ says I needn't go to AFCI breakers.

Reactions: fbelec