Cherry All Day Long

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was the hung up Cherry I worked on over the winter, looks like we should get close to a cord once I get the rest bucked up.

Pic 4894 is the Cherry that is left.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4889.JPG
    100_4889.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_4891.JPG
    100_4891.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_4892.JPG
    100_4892.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_4893.JPG
    100_4893.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_4894.JPG
    100_4894.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_4895.JPG
    100_4895.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: raybonz and Thistle
Looks great. Wish we had cherry that grew wild like that up here. I'll have to settle for living vicariously through your pictures :)

Realstone, what do you have the most of, Maple?

zap

That is great zap. Bigger than the cherry we have.

Zap, you ever take a weekend off? Its a holiday.

Sav, just thought I would tell you the 20 ton MTD popped open the biggest rounds.

Weatherguy, since I promised the wife we would use the boat more this summer I'm taking advantage of the good weather early on. Never had a vacation since we opened our own business in 1986.

A vacation to me is a long weekend(3 days) I took 4 days for our HM when we got married.

zap

Realstone, what do you have the most of, Maple?

zap
Around the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) it's mostly scrub, coniferous and a few big, choice hardwoods. I believe we are on the northern cusp of the Carolinian type forest. About an hour's north there are large expanses of maple, softwoods, some beech (lotsa poplar) and others like birch, oak and so on.

It occurs to me after reading the posts from you guy's down south that the further south you get, the higher the average BTU is. A lot of the species I read that you guy's cull on a regular basis are either rare or not to be found in these parts. And the size of some of the monsters I see getting bucked in your pics. Trees of that size in this neck of the woods are only to be found in downtown Toronto where they are protected by law, CCTV surveillance and round the clock tree huggers.

Good job, Zap! That's a good heap of splits you made there. I always enjoy doing cherry because it cuts, splits, smells, looks and burns good. Thanks for the pics!

Nice work!

Good looking cherry. I put two ten inch dia trees on the pile last year. Would love to have lots more. It sure beats cutting hedge!

Wow that's quite the cherry stand! Nice pics and work on that huge cherry!

Ray

Looking real good Zap - I had a chance to buck a similar sized cherry two years ago - burned most of it this winter. Cheers!

Thanks fellow Hearth.com members, the biggest round was 20 inches in diameter.

Happy Easter
Zap

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks fellow Hearth.com members, the biggest round was 20 inches in diameter.

Happy Easter
Zap
Wow that's a monster cherry! Never seen one that big here!

Ray

Wow that's a monster cherry! Never seen one that big here!

Ray
Was that one trunk at the bottom, Zap? I've never seen one branch out at the base that much!

WS, it was the four round off the stump. The round nearest the stump had a chit load of ants so I split it then through it in a seperate area which received plenty of sun.

zap

Sav, just thought I would tell you the 20 ton MTD popped open the biggest rounds.

Weatherguy, since I promised the wife we would use the boat more this summer I'm taking advantage of the good weather early on. Never had a vacation since we opened our own business in 1986.

A vacation to me is a long weekend(3 days) I took 4 days for our HM when we got married.

zap

That should be like child's play with that MTD zap. Glad it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.