Chicken-Wire Ash Removal Trick? Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I want to make is an ashtrapper with a coal sifter grate so that I can separate the larger coals and clean out the ashes in one step without raising dust in the house. I'm not very happy with the coal rake that I made. While it's better than using the poker or a corner of the shovel, it is better suited for moving the ashes to the back and coals to the front. For hot ash removal, What I do is to move everything to one side and then rake the coals over to the other side to preserve them. I would need a rake that looks more like a comb for sideways action.

Back to the drawing board.

This is like trying to save the soap suds when draining water from a bath tub. The time and effort involved in saving a few dead coals just isn't worth it in my book. Over the course of a heating season you probably wouldn't save more than the equivalent of three sticks of wood.

bstnh1 said:
This is like trying to save the soap suds when draining water from a bath tub. The time and effort involved in saving a few dead coals just isn't worth it in my book. Over the course of a heating season you probably wouldn't save more than the equivalent of three sticks of wood.
WOW!!!! You are doing some reading! Cheers - Gio

oldspark said:
Why not just buy a koal keeper?

Because it is Gay....

What about putting slots in the bottom of the firebox with a movable grate to open and close it? Then put a removable pan beneath the slots. You could open the grate, move the ashes around so that they sift down into the pan (leaving the larger coals in the firebox), then close the grate and dump the ashes from the pan.

We could call it, "Grate Idea"!

This has to be one of the most silliest threads I've ever seen on this forum. Take a very simple task of removing some ashes from the stove and it brings out comments like I've just read and it honestly makes me wonder......well, I won't finish that sentence.

Just move the hot coals, scoop out the ashes, move the coals to the other side and finish the job. Chicken wire? Right....

Really.
Get a cat and a litter box or two to satisfy these scooping needs.

billb3 said:
Really.
Get a cat and a litter box or two to satisfy these scooping needs.

Can you burn that too? In a Cat stove? :)

Dennis,

You knew I was joking, right? Just having some holiday fun...

How about chain-link fencing? It could be doubled over if you need a smaller coal screen. As Dan noticed though - many of us already have this feature built in the stove :lol:

DanCorcoran said:
Dennis,

You knew I was joking, right? Just having some holiday fun...

;-)

But not everyone was joking...

Status
Not open for further replies.