Chimney/ air intake placement (DIY Project)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tafagan95

Oct 28, 2020
CT
Hello, I am new to the forum and looking for suggestions and help with relocating my pellet stove in my basement (came with the house installed). I have a few questions regarding chimney placement and air intake to the outside. I will provide pictures at the end.

1) I am going to use a core drill and bit to make the opening for the chimney in between the studs (should I start outside or inside? I do not want to miss the center of the studs if I start from the outside. The basement is the process of getting finished, so i do not think it will be problem for drilling inside first and possibly finish from the outside? I was also going to make the hole approximately 6ft from the floor? I've got the heat shield for in between the dry wall and cement foundation.

2) Curious of how i can run the hose for the cold air intake for the stove. I was thinking of feeding the hose at the bottom of the wall behind the stove and up the wall between the drywall and cement foundation and then to outside. Not sure if that is acceptable or not, but figured there would not be any hot air or anything to going through so maybe it would be ok? Then the part 2 question to that is, there is siding right above my foundation wall that i was thinking of drilling a hole for the intake, if there isnt any certain major codes or anything about being in close proxmity of wood studs, dry wall, or something along those lines? I provide pictures of what I am regarding.

I provided pictures to help understand what I am trying to say. Provided an outside picture of where the chimney will be exiting. Most likely will exit between the ground and where the siding starts. And where the siding starts is where I would like the air intake to exit.

Please contact me any suggestions or if you need any clarified to better understand to help me out.

Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 193
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 195
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 193
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: Ssyko
Exhaust I would drill a centering hole from the inside with a hammer drill
so you know where to drill from the outside with the core dill Less dust
inside.
OAK you can put where you want it is a cold air intake no heat and it can
be in the same area as the exhaust just like they do with hi-efficiency propane
and natural gas furnaces

Exhaust I would drill a centering hole from the inside with a hammer drill
so you know where to drill from the outside with the core dill Less dust
inside.
OAK you can put where you want it is a cold air intake no heat and it can
be in the same area as the exhaust just like they do with hi-efficiency propane
and natural gas furnaces
Thank you for the response and the advice. As for the cold air intake, I would place it right near the exhaust but I do not want to make another hole in the cement just for that. So if youre looking at the outside picture, I could i just have the exhaust coming out of the foundation and then where the siding starts I believe I can get the cold air intake to come out of that. I am just trying to not make another hole for the cold air intake. I would need to buy another core bit (not cheap) or buy a bigger core bit and end up buying different chimney equipment.

OAK has to be below the exhaust Or you could
use the chimney with the built-in OAK

Given your situation, I like Johneh's solution of using a chimney with the OAK built in. You would have to verify whether the drill bit you have would work, or whether you would need something bigger.

May want to check with someone that works on foundations and just double check and see if their is a min distance you need to be away from your base plate so you do not create a week spot. To me drilling close to the base plate is going to create a week spot

OAK has to be below the exhaust Or you could
use the chimney with the built-in OAK
Hey Johneh what do you mean "chimney with the bike in OAK?" I'm looking for a solution to a similar problem but I am not interested in drilling through my chimney for the OAK. Can you attach a photo of an example of what you're referring to?

OAK = Outside Air Kit
Here is one for an insert

I would not cut the band around my joists that sits on the sill atop the block wall, I'd much sooner take the exhaust out through the block at least a row below the sill plate. If I ever removed the stove, I could fill that hole and not weaken my sill or ribbon band with the big hole. Block or concrete is non-flamable, but the wooden band & sill aren't so extra room would be needed there.

Outside air, if the stove is running, it's cold air outside so I keep my intake at least 12 feet from my exhaust outlet and preferably a few feet below it. You might check your local muffler man, he has 10 foot lengths of car exhaust pipe in various sizes that make good air intake pipe for cold air, and he can bend it to suit and swell ends to make a "kit" for you. Put a screen over the intake, a screw type band clamp or just a good zip tie will hold the screen on.

Electral conduit works good also with pre bent elbows