Chimney Brand identification game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coyoteSilas

Jan 5, 2021
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi there, I have 36' in 4' lengths of used Class A stainless steel chimney that I intend to use for heating my workshop with a wood stove. My problem is that I live in rural Nova Scotia and no stores in a reasonable distance from me carry what I have or can identify it for me. So I will have to order the one piece I need online, but I need help to identify the brand so I can order the tee with plug.
What I know: double wall with insulation, 7" inside 11"outside, twist lock. It doesn't use locking bands, as I can see where the screw holes from the previous install secured the pieces. A WETT guy I know told me that here the twist lock type need to have screws as well.
What I don't know: Brand. Could be Selkirk? but supervent or duravent or something else?

I'm not going through the roof as the second story is full of hay bales. I intend to go out the sidewall and past the 10" soffit. I will have a welder friend build me a stand-off thing to attach the support bracket to. Code doesn't matter to me, as my place isn't insurable, and no inspectors are involved. I don't want to buy a wall kit, as I have everything but the tee.

I'll try to upload a couple pics. Thanks in advance for the help.

chimney5.jpg chimney4.jpg chimney3.jpg chimney2.jpg chimney1.jpg

It’s most likely Security chimney. You’d need to find out which product from their line it is though.

Looks like gsw.check for a stamp at either end

If it is gsw it will be marked here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210105-210902_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210105-210902_Samsung Internet.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 271
Double checked. No markings of any kind. Which brings us back to Security? Which of their line features the twist lock?
A WETT certified friend thought it might be the Duravent Canadian Tire carries. But no store near me has any 7" in stock to check for a fit.
I still think that you being in canada that it is gsw. Gsw was bought out by selkirk and selkirk supervent is compatible,might want to check that out.lowes sells it as well as home depot.hope this helps

I still think that you being in canada that it is gsw. Gsw was bought out by selkirk and selkirk supervent is compatible,might want to check that out.lowes sells it as well as home depot.hope this helps
I hope that's not what it is unfortunately. The part "Selkirk JM Supervent Insulated Tee 7 in" or JM7IT, is not in stock in stores or online at either homedepot.ca or lowes.ca.
Is there any other place I could buy this? Or, since I'm not worried about code, could I make the Duravent fit somehow?

Attachments

• hd.jpg
    hd.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 242
  • lowes.jpg
    lowes.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 207
Canadian tire,why not take a section of that chimney down to lowes or hd and see if supervent fits that section.i know I had gsw and changed it out this year and my dealer tod me that only supervent was compatible.i used my old chimney cap and same support and only had to buy 3 sections of chimney 1888(735.5475)

Last edited:
I found a JM7IT at rona.ca, which I think was bought by Lowes ironically. If I order this and it's not compatible, should I return it or try to make it work? What is the risk of doing so? Seems like illegal heat is better than no heat, as long as there isn't a fire risk I'm unaware of.

They are not compatible,how are you going to make it work? Take a section of that pipe to a woodstove dealer near you for identification or take a section somewhere that has supervent and see if they match up or you can maybe call selkirk and ask for their thoughts,they are very helpful.good luck and keep us posted.

They are not compatible,how are you going to make it work? Take a section of that pipe to a woodstove dealer near you for identification or take a section somewhere that has supervent and see if they match up or you can maybe call selkirk and ask for their thoughts,they are very helpful.good luck and keep us posted.
The closest place is an hour away, but I'll take a drive and see what I can find. Thanks!

Like me as well ,an hour away from anything.lol good luck

Reactions: coyoteSilas
Like me as well ,an hour away from anything.lol good luck
Success! It is indeed the Selkirk Supervent. The Kent Building Suppy (Irving owned) even had the part in stock. HomeDepot sells the same stuff but doesn't carry that piece in store. The HD price was $60 bucks less, but Kent matched it for me. Thanks for the help. Now to see what my welder can make to take it 10" out from the wall to go past the soffit. Any pics of such a thing?

Reactions: marty319
Success! It is indeed the Selkirk Supervent. The Kent Building Suppy (Irving owned) even had the part in stock. HomeDepot sells the same stuff but doesn't carry that piece in store. The HD price was $60 bucks less, but Kent matched it for me. Thanks for the help. Now to see what my welder can make to take it 10" out from the wall to go past the soffit. Any pics of such a thing?
Great news

It’s not Selkirk supervent, while it may fit, it’s not the same brand...
Many brands will interchange, doesn’t make it safe or acceptable.

Reactions: moresnow
An extended tee support is what you need. Excel makes one that will work.

I don't doubt you know much more than I do, but how do you know it's not Supervent?
Where can I purchase Excel here in Canada?
Super vent is very common. I install a line owned by the same company almost daily, and have installed supervent a few dozen times. It has the same locking mechanism as the line we use. How big is the soffit? You’d be better off penetrating it if it’s 12” .

Is Excel an ICC product? The closest heating store I went to deals exclusively in ICC and said that was not what I had.
Yes, it’s ICC. ICC makes an extended tee support that extends further than most, that’s why I recommended it. Your pipe is not excel, pipe extension is a whole different issue.