This past March my mother in law passed away and the wife and I purchased her house. This house is 30 years old and has a chimney, no fire place. My Father in Law, who passed 2 years ago ALWAYS had a wood stove and used it constantly for primary heat source. Well, now I am burning a wood stove in this house. I noticed there was no chimney cap and never has been for 30 years. I also noticed all the houses around me for miles have few to no chimney caps. I understand their function, but it seems no one in my vicinity think they are worth the cost and trouble. I was considering buying one, but it does not seem to be a must buy. What do you all think?