Chimney Cap and BlockOff Plate Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Hello everybody,

I will keep this shot and sweet because I'm typing on my phone.

I need to buy a new chimney cap. I have an 8" round stainless steel liner in it, so the cap would need to work with that. Outside dimensions of the terra cota are 12"x12"

Also, I need to make a BlockOff plate for my insert. I have read a ton of guides, however none of them seem to specify what type of metal to use. Any ideas?

The insert is a Vermont castings winter warm large.
3f9c19680bfb13ce29daa86c0f924344.jpg

Thanks
Kenny

You should be able to get a cap that will slip over top of your terra cotta and then tighten onto your pipe and also use bolts to snug it up against the tile. I ordered all of my stuff from chimneylinerdepot.com and I was very satisfied with everything besides the 10 days it took to be shipped to me. If you call and talk to them I'm sure they would also be able to make you a block off plate. They custom made me one to block off where my flue tile starts so the pour in insulation wouldn't go down any further. I just used insulation where the damper plate used to be.

Thanks claydogg. A buddy of mine is going to help me with the install of the liner and fabrication of the block off plate. I just didn't know what metal was best. Now I need to find a local source to purchase it from.

Well, thank to begreen`s website recommendation, I purchased a 8" 13x13 Terra Cotta top plate, and an 8" round rain cap!

Also, when I run this liner down the chimney, should I used stove cement for the liner to wood stove connection??

Also, when I run this liner down the chimney, should I used stove cement for the liner to wood stove connection??

You shouldn't need to use anything. I do believe you need an adapter to go from the flex pipe directly into the wood stove though.

You should get a scrap piece of sheet metal to lay on your hearth extension for when you slide the insert back in place so that you don't scratch/gouge up your hearth any more than it already is. Good luck.

Reactions: claydogg84
You should get a scrap piece of sheet metal to lay on your hearth extension for when you slide the insert back in place so that you don't scratch/gouge up your hearth any more than it already is. Good luck.

Wish I had done that. Mine got a bit scratched up moving that 445 lb Jotul around!

And bt, I got a great deal on the stove. It is very simple to use, but someday I'll have I'll have a blaze king in there

960 sq ft ranch installed in the living room. Temps upwards of 90 if you want. I run fans and it heats the entire house just fine

So last night I cut the old damper plate out enough to fit the liner in. Today I swept the chimney, vacuumed the smoke shelf, and sealed up some ugly Mortor joints. Tonight I need to replace the damper gasket on the stove and tomorrow the new liner should be in and she will burn throughout the night.

Reactions: claydogg84
So the install was a bust. I was able to drop the liner all the way down, however the appliance connector that goes from the winter warm 10" oval to 8" round would not fit my 8 inch liner. They are both the same size. What's my options?

what type of liner is it?

So the install was a bust. I was able to drop the liner all the way down, however the appliance connector that goes from the winter warm 10" oval to 8" round would not fit my 8 inch liner. They are both the same size. What's my options?

Did you buy the liner and connector from the same place?

Negative, I'm not sure of the brand of the liner. It's an 8 round stainless steel , ribbed not smooth. The adaptor plate came from theventing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.