Chimney cap idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if we could just get someone to come up with an extinguishing agent that expands quickly so it would travel up the chimney or pipe, all the while putting all fire out along the way.

This could work, the idea I think is sound, but of course needs tweeking.

The stove port idea is also sound I think, but would add a little cost to production.

The extinguisher could be specially made for flu and stove fires with a quick attach twist T that only takes one half turn to pop the plug on the inside of the stove.

Sounds like were almost ready for production............. %-P

Robbie

Better talk to your patent lawyer Robbie. Sounds like a winner to me. I don't think it would add that much cost to production, maybe $5 bucks once the initial R&D money was covered. It could be a good sales tool for stove manufacturers. Safety = sales. Or you could say Fear = sales. But either way, I'd pay the extra few bucks to have one put in my stove.

-Kevin

so this is what goes on here in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.
I would think that a check valve and a heavy duty hydraulic quick disconnect would do the trick, as that t-handle would probably get hot at high temps.
A quick blast of CO2 should be enough to cut off enough oxygen to stop the fire in the chimney but allow the stove to keep running to control it back down to a safe burn.
Now as far as you saying that after the fire is out they could start the fire right back up again I would think that could just reignite the chimney fire.

Check valve and quick disconnect could be done, certainly. My idea for the t-handle was to try and minimize the length of the pipe sticking out of the stove. The t-handle piece would be on the fire extinguisher adapter, not attached to the stove.

You are correct though GVA, after any chimney fire you wouldn't want to just start back up the stove without inspecting the set up to examine it's condition.

-Kevin

I'll third that ! For sure inspect, clean and re-light.

If I had this set up on my stove, and a reliable/tested extinguisher handy, I would not hesitate to use it and feel 100% safer in my every day stove operations..........knowing I had a quick, safe and simple way to put a fire out......without ever opening the stove door, that is the whole key, and a fire extinguisher that was fast.

Robbie

In my opinion chimney caps are over rated. I've found with any stoves I've had through the years that the best chimney cap is none. All stoves want the best draft possible so why have one? Chimney caps slow the draft which is one reason for chimney fires. I just cap mine off with a metal canister when I'm not using the stove to keep out varmits and moisture. I've tried many stoves with and without a chimney cap and found a drastic change in the performance. Putting on a chimney cap is like blocking off the draft and many I've seen clog up and make matter even worse. I understand that chimney caps are suppose to prevent sparks from shooting out the chimney but with a chimney fire there are a lot more than sparks coming out the stack. I'm not by any means saying I'm an expert on chimneys but this has been my experience.

I'm not crazy about having a cap on my chimney either. It's only there because I don't like water collecting in my cleanout trap. Makes a nasty job even nastier!!
As far as chimney fires go...the best thing any stove owner can do is be pro active regarding inspection and maintenance of your system. Major chimney fires happen because people don't inspect and clean their flus regularly. I know if I had a bung fitting (ha-I said bung!) on the side of my stove to hook an extinguisher to and put out the fire I would never use it because I keep my flu and stovepipe free of buildup. It can't light off if it's not there. Also, from what I understand, small chimney fires are pretty common (especially with old stoves) and often go unnoticed.
I think an addition such as this to stoves would give already negligent stove owners a false sense of security regarding inspection and maintenance of their system.
Now, a spring loaded cap that flipped out of the way when burning, and could be flipped back into place when needed...I'd buy one of those!!!

wrenchmonster said:
No problem Robbie. The success of your knife is well deserved.

Back on topic a little bit. I was thinking about why chimney caps are so plain jane. How come manufacturers don't have copper caps or add on fineals (sp) or more decorative caps. Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough.

-Kevin

I KNOW you've seen my proper toppers....
http://www.extendaflue.com

Attachments

• bothPT1212.jpg
    bothPT1212.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 183
  • copper812s.jpg
    copper812s.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 150
  • PT1212.jpg
    PT1212.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 156
I was just at a home show this past weekend and saw some pretty nice caps. Copper included. Very decorative with different styles of mesh for a different look. I even saw a spring loaded cap that can be pulled down against the flue by a chain to keep the critters out/stop the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.