Chimney cap plugging up every few weeks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crashmymax

Dec 2, 2018
south dakota
I cleaned my chimney and cap. within 3 or 4 weeks the cap plugged up and smoke started coming in the house. I got on the roof and see the cap was plugged up. Cleaned it again. Today I noticed the fire not wanting to burn well so up I went and sure enough about 3/4 plugged up. This is a quadrafire 7100 I only burn pine which I know creates more creosote but is this normal? Is my cap a poor design? Any advice or help is appreciated.

20200219_170119.jpg

I cleaned my chimney and cap. within 3 or 4 weeks the cap plugged up and smoke started coming in the house. I got on the roof and see the cap was plugged up. Cleaned it again. Today I noticed the fire not wanting to burn well so up I went and sure enough about 3/4 plugged up. This is a quadrafire 7100 I only burn pine which I know creates more creosote but is this normal? Is my cap a poor design? Any advice or help is appreciated.

View attachment 257325
Yes those caps are horrible. But you can only use caps designed to be used with that specific chimney system

Ok so I am stuck with it? Or I need to see if there is a better one for the pipe used for my chimney?
I would see if there are other options. But I don't really think there is.

I would cut out every other slat to open the cap up more.

Dry pine doesnt cause any more creosote than hardwoods, as long as its dry you should be okay doing the suggested above.

Thanks for the fast responses. My first instinct was to cut some of the slats out but was not sure if that could cause some other issues. I'm going to check into any other possible caps first if nothing else will work I think I'll get another like I have and cut some slats out and see how it performs. Thanks again

Long time lurker here, but I had to comment on this thread. I have the same chimney system and termination cap. I have been burning since November pretty much all day and I have not had a blockage or buildup like that. I burn 99% hickory and I think that might make a difference vs softwoods. Anyway just wanted to add that your situation seems excessive to me. BTW, I cleaned my flue and cap in December and cap was fine. ....did have creosote in the pipe, but cap was not blocked. Good luck.

Thanks for the fast responses. My first instinct was to cut some of the slats out but was not sure if that could cause some other issues. I'm going to check into any other possible caps first if nothing else will work I think I'll get another like I have and cut some slats out and see how it performs. Thanks again

The screen/louvers on the cap don't do anything to help your chimney system work. They are nothing but a negative for performance. The only value is wildlife exclusion and to slightly reduce the chances of burning garbage floating out of your chimney. Many brands have optional screens or no screen at all on the caps.

Reactions: blacktail