Chimney: clean/needs cleaned/house about to burn down!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on progress. The liner must be stainless. Regular steel is not allowed for a chimney liner. It will rot quickly and that can lead to CO leakage into the house.

Congratulations on progress. The liner must be stainless. Regular steel is not allowed for a chimney liner. It will rot quickly and that can lead to CO leakage into the house.

Thanks. Next yeay for stainless. I got fire rope around the adaptor plate, and calk on pipe seams. (nothing could leak in even if it wanted)

So questions: what prolonged temperature can drywall/paint handle? 110°f is what i see on top of the stove. I wraped the suport beam (wood) in slate but now unshure if the dry wall work will start to fail?

Attachments

• 20160305_211113.jpg
    20160305_211113.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 171
So questions: what prolonged temperature can drywall/paint handle? 110°f is what i see on top of the stove. I wraped the suport beam (wood) in slate but now unshure if the dry wall work will start to fail?
110F is not too hot. It's ok up to around 170F IIRC. However, the stove manual may say 84" ceiling height required.

Thanks. Next yeay for stainless. I got fire rope around the adaptor plate, and calk on pipe seams. (nothing could leak in even if it wanted)
that caulk will be burnt off really quickly. Did you run stove pipe the entire length of the chimney?

that caulk will be burnt off really quickly. Did you run stove pipe the entire length of the chimney?

Yes. 18' an elbow past the old damper and an elbow to the fire box cover plate. i take it that calk dose not hold up? Its "rutland black stove calk" i must say that draft relly helps this thing burn. 9' when it was out side must not have been enugh.

So i only see secondery burn shortly after loading it or when i crank it up past 3/4 air. Is that normal? Burning pine im scared to walk away from it with more then 3/4 air. I will say once it has a bead of coals and other then the first 2-3 min after loading its smokeless so i guess thats good.

Yes. 18' an elbow past the old damper and an elbow to the fire box cover plate. i take it that calk dose not hold up? Its "rutland black stove calk" i must say that draft relly helps this thing burn. 9' when it was out side must not have been enugh.
Well that is furnace cement not caulk it will hold up to the temps but will crack and fall out really quickly. And regardless that will not stop the inevitable corrosion that will quickly destroy that pipe and make it a very dangerous install.

Did you say that the stove pipe liner is only 9 feet? If so, that is insufficient and may be the cause of the weak secondary performance.

Yep.

That's good. REgarding the secondaries, it could be that the 90 right off the stove is hurting draft a bit. If temps are mild outside this may be more noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.