Chimney Cleaning and Crown Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Newton

Burning Hunk
Apr 4, 2012
Beavercreek, Ohio
Next Saturday I'm getting both my chimneys cleaned. One is an open FP in the living room and the other one is a stainless steel liner for my basement WBST. I want to let them do it first so I can observe since last year was my first year with the WBST. Then next year I'll do myself. I know my cement crown is cracked and needs sealed and or re-poured. They will give me estimates for that. I have had some concrete experience in the past but not on chimney crowns. My questions are can the crown just be sealed with the appropriate epoxy/mortar. Or should it be re-poured totally? Has anyone had experience with maybe metal crown alternatives? I've patched it in the past but that only lasts about two years. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys!

Crown coat is a great product as long as the cracks aren't too big! I was trying to decide if I was gonna do a stainless cover, a crown coat or just pour a new concrete crown. Mine was mortar like most and that is just no good. Most masons just slope some mortar up there and that's no correct, it should be cement. And there has to be an expansion joint between the flue and the crown. If you don't have an expansion joint or an overhang I would consider just pouring a new crown. Mine is 6'x almost 3', it cost me $45.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: jaychino415
Why such a big wide chimney for just one pipe? Visual effect or was there another pipe in there at one point? The single pipe looks lonely on the big crown.

I want to redo mine as well. Once I get better signal I want to check that out!

When we moved in 3 years ago we had the fireplace inspected (pre-stove) and had to have the crown repaired. It came with a 5 year warranty but it has to be inspected every year so I have him clean the pipe at the same time. I will eventually look into doing it myself after 5 years.

fv

I would think you could find something at Lowe's or HD that would do the same thing. Maybe one of those flat roof coatings?

Where do u buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.